PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm Uninstall Problems

Waldorf
21-08-2002, 12:04 AM
My post earlier today came about in my attempts to rid my computer of Zonealarm, its like a virus. Even with the very specific uninstall procedure for Zonealarm Pro from their website, I cant get to a stage where my computer will connect to the internet without it. It must be to do with its permission controls but its beyond me. Do I have to run this computer over with my truck and get another one because thats what I feel like doing. I have had to reinstall Zonealarm so many times after futile attempts to remove it, I'm sick of it. Its more of a pain than a gain in my system because it doesn't run troublefree. Often requires a restart after startup because it didn't start correctly ( in off mode ) and its hopeless trying to restart it through the programs shortcuts. Any ideas before I get the truck out? I've got an HP computer with Win ME so I know there are people out there cheering me on.

tweak\'e
21-08-2002, 12:47 AM
ZA is designed to take out your net connection if someone trys to remove or bypass it. unfortunatly this also means it can be a barstard to remove.

assuming it is still installed, boot into safe mode. uninstall it from there. if on reboot you get blue screen (fault in vsdata95 etc) then reboot into safe mode , find said vsdata95 and delete it. also a clean out with a regcleaner helps. you can then clean out any leftover files.

Waldorf
21-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try again. I copied 3 pages of instructions from Zonelabs which supposedly covered every deletion and registry change needed but... When I reloaded it , I noticed a screen saying it was organising permissions in Programs~1\internet~1\IExplore or some such name. I haven't seen that come up in any search or instructions so I'll check there too.

tweak\'e
21-08-2002, 01:35 PM
reloaded it? i thought u where trying to get rid of it.

btw don't forget rule 1 of uninstalling. make sure its not running. with ZA take it out of startup first, then reboot.

kiwibeat
21-08-2002, 01:41 PM
Try disabling it thru startup msconfig the uninstall it lucky i dont have any problems with it

Waldorf
21-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Ihad done all that as Zonelabs directed but it didnt give me my internet connection back, hence the reload. Still working on it.

kiwibeat
23-08-2002, 11:04 PM
Are you running the Pro version I think some of the earlier version were more stable than the latest free version could be a ploy to force you to upgrade??

kiwibeat
23-08-2002, 11:12 PM
file://localhost/C:/PROGRAM FILES/ZONE LABS/ZONEALARM/help/ZoneAlarm_Pro_Help.htm

http://www.epinions.com/cmsw-EmailChat-All-Zonealarm_2_1/display_~reviews

I must say i havent tried to uninstall yet as my program works fine

kiwibeat
23-08-2002, 11:18 PM
"This was on Friday night and Saturday. Inforamp was no help, because tech support shuts down on Friday night at 9pm until Monday morning. I then perused the Zonealarm technical files for about a half an hour and finally found a statement DEEP in one of the technical papers saying that the high internet security setting does not work well with DSL and Cable Modem connections with dynamic IP addresses. It suggested to use the medium setting.
Once I got a hold of Inforamp's technical support, they affirmed that firewalls do not work well with dynamic IP address connections. I asked for a recommendation on firewalls and they said that they did not recommend their use. So, I thanked the guy and decided to keep Zonealarm at the medium setting, because it provided protection and was working with my DSL connection. "

Interesting comments from epinions