PDA

View Full Version : No PT

Maxx
20-08-2002, 07:00 PM
I have a HP6327 running 98se.When I start up it brings up the HP screen then goes to a black screen which tells me NO PT insert disk or press any key.If I press a key it then boots up .I have done a full system restore and it still appears and I'd like to get rid of it.Any ideas,thanks,Max.

godfather
20-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Hmmm....Think its a problem with Partition Table?
Something to do with the Hard Drive I suspect....

Will watch this post..

godfather
20-08-2002, 07:36 PM
A guess here, but do you have an older computer with a later, larger hard drive?

If so it needs a supplimentary program to map the drive, this is what could be missing?

Maxx
20-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Yes,it has an existing 6.4 gig hd and I've added a 40g maxtor although originally this didn't occur.It seems to have happened since I tried a clean boot to 98se which wasn't too successsful so I reverted to the HPD DISK,CHEERS,mAX.

Maxx
20-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Just checked my drive with Partition magic and it says error,partition contains open files.

godfather
20-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Perhaps look on the Maxtor site, but my guess is that without the mapping program, you will not be addressing the drive properly?

Hence the error, and the fact it still runs (but addressing only part of the drive?)

Maxx
20-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Thanks,Ill give it a try,Regards,Max.

godfather
20-08-2002, 09:23 PM
When a drive overlay program runs during the boot sequence, it installs a small program that replaces some of the BIOS's drive access services with its own routines.

Therefore, in order to access the drive, you must boot from the drive where the drive overlay was installed.

If you boot from another drive (diskette, CDROM, another HD), chances are you won't see the "overlayed" drive's partitions.

Now, it may be that the smaller drive is OK, and the error stems from trying to mount the second (40 Gb drive) as you are now booting from the small drive. Can only be read if you are booting from it.

Maxx
21-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi Godfather,I've checked the Maxtor site and found out how to correct it but the cure is worse than the disease.I would have to go back and reformat ,fix the problem and then reinstall everything again so I'll leave it till I format again,about once a year.Many thanks for your help.Regards,Max.