PDA

View Full Version : Backing up to CD/R or CD/RW

teach
20-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Although this topic has come up before I didn't see quite the answers I needed.

I have several computers where the only backup options would be CD/R or CD/RW. In each case I would wish to backup 16-20GB of information, but I don't wish to backup all that information each time. Often I'd just want to backup the data directories that have changed most often.

Can anyone recommend a backup program that will span multiple CD/R disks, offers compression and will allow me to select which directories to backup? Scheduling options would also be nice, but not as important.

Many thanks
Teach

Chilling_Silence
20-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Nero 5.5.X.X
It'll automatically update directories each time the CD is inserted and nero is open! just elave enough room on each CD so that you can do backups, remembering that each bakup ater the 1st uses an extra 14MB on the CD!!!

Chilling_Silence

teach
22-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply, but I still didn't quite get the most important answer - will Nero span across multiple CDs? ?:|
I would like to make my usual backups from a couple of root folders that contain about 7 - 8 GB, the rest of the backups would happen less often.
What are other people using to backup large hard drives, without having to resort to image software?
Thanks folks
Teach

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2002, 03:05 PM
No, it won't, you'll have to manually split the burns, but what it can do is UPDATE ONLY the files that are on the CD, If there's not been an update, then it won't re-burn the files. If only 2,say, have been updated, then it will only update those 2 instead of the whole lot on that CD. It will not span multiple CD, however you can use WinZip 8.1 from www.winzip.com to zip up the lot and then split the zip file into 650MB Parts that can be burnt to a CD!!!!

Hope thats a bit clearer ;-)

Otherwise, Backup of large hard-drives... Second HDD's that are just as big!!!

Chilling_Silence

parry
22-08-2002, 03:46 PM
You probably need advice from someone who is a network administrator but it sounds as if you need something that will enable you to do a full backup then a combo of incremental and differential backups.

A quick search found http://www.ntibackupnow.com/ which seems to do what you are after. Im not sure of the cost/benefit of having a spare PC to act as a server for backups vs CD's as HD are quite cheap these days & I wouldnt think you would need a high spec machine.

Perhaps the best option is an image for the full backup (Notons Ghost or equliavent) then differential backups periodically.

Chris Wilson
22-08-2002, 04:37 PM
what's this then in nero.

file > burn HD backup ?

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2002, 04:43 PM
How do u then restore those??
I'm interested!
Chilling_Silence

Chris Wilson
22-08-2002, 04:50 PM
i've never used it, i just discovered it one day AFTER i had copied most of the files on my HD to CD

I'm curious too!

Chris.

parry
22-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Yup I'd seen it too but with the message that appears with all the provisos put me off. Seems to be an image doesnt it, rather than the ability to grab a particular file. If you have the cubes then try it :-)

BarryMcQ
22-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Hi teach,

I haven't tried this software myself but I've been told it works well :-)

http://www.ntibackupnow.com/

Hope this helps.

teach
23-08-2002, 08:26 AM
That's it Barry - many thanks for pointing that out. It looks to be just the package I'm after. I have some NTI products that came with the writer, one called NTI DriveBackup! but it just made an image, not really what I wanted.

The backup now software seems more like a traditional backup program - just what we need.

Many thanks
Teach :-)

Peter H
23-08-2002, 09:03 AM
I use it often to backup and restore. Only proviso is that it is an image and you can't restore seperate files. Also, it backs up your entire drive - used & free, so with a large drive, partition first. Mine is 2.5gb primary partition and fits on 4 cd's. It is a lot easier to use & restore than Drive Image or Ghost - my opinion.
Bye

Peter H
23-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Meant to say, that this applies to Nero HD Backup.
Bye