PDA

View Full Version : DX 9??

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Hey, I've heard it's out, or at least in alpha, what's it like, can i download it, and what's the difference???

Chilling_Silence

Lohsing
19-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Apparently there are new GeForce 5 cards based upon a completely different chip architecture, etc... I was told to expect graphics like seeing dust particles float through the air through a beam of sunlight and other cool stuff like that... incidentally, DX 9 and the GF5 cards are to be released in about a year? Doom 3 is supposed to be a game which will take advantage of the DX9 stuff...

Anyway... pretty gutted cos now my Ti4400 card is gonna be obsolete shortly.

Lo.

kiwibeat
19-08-2002, 06:39 PM
I have a Geforce 3 so that is really outdated now not really as it does all it need to for my purposes indeed my old 256 ddr card did the same this constant upgrading isnt really necessary unless you want to be one up on the Jones

SoniKalien
19-08-2002, 08:18 PM
I would advise against anybody (unless you are a real Beta testa) installing alpha, beta, delta, or even release candidates of direct X.

The reason being is that usually you cannot uninstall it and revert to a previous version if all goes wrong.

A lot of people got caught out like this with DX8(beta). It messed up a lot of systems because of the bugs. A lot of people out there (including Yours Truly and his uncle) had to reformat to get rid of a buggy version of DX.

Wait until 9.1 comes out.

Lohsing
19-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Good call... and wait until like the 2nd generation of Geforce 5 cards are released... new technologies based on completely different architectures tend to be very buggy with the first generation...