PDA

View Full Version : Lost ID-Key number

Pibs
19-08-2002, 03:09 PM
After fitting new CD covers I now find that I need the CD key numbers,
any help as to how I can access a CD to find the numbers / key / codes
would be appreciated. (I would rather not have to buy the disks again)
I recall it being in the help column some months ago but can't seem to locate the article.
Thanks in anticipation from a Newby. Pibs.

Mike
19-08-2002, 03:27 PM
> any help as to how I can access a CD to find the
> numbers / key / codes
> would be appreciated. (I would rather not have to buy
> the disks again)
> I recall it being in the help column some months ago
> but can't seem to locate the article.

I'd be surprised if you read it in an article somewhere, for as far as I know you cannot get the CD key from off the CDs - The key is there to try to thwart piracy a little, so it'd be pointless if you could find the CD key on the CD :)
If they are Microsoft products, you could try phoning their office in Auckland or wherever and explain the situation to them and they might help you out. Otherwise you're pretty stuck.

Mike.

Pibs
19-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Thanks Mike, I may have used the wrong term (CD Key) it may have been the cd number that I read about retrieving, I can see the logic in what you say,and feel a bit silly asking my question now. Some of the disks are not Microsoft so I may have to put it down to a very steep learning curve. Thanks again. Pibs

Mike
19-08-2002, 03:52 PM
> Thanks Mike, I may have used the wrong term (CD Key)
> it may have been the cd number that I read about
> retrieving, I can see the logic in what you say,and
> feel a bit silly asking my question now. Some of the
> disks are not Microsoft so I may have to put it down
> to a very steep learning curve. Thanks again. Pibs

Pibs, What programs are we talking about, and how many? Why did you replace the CD Covers? I think usually with Microsoft programs (well now anyway, they didn't used to) they have the CD Key number on a seperate piece of paper, so have a look around, you may still have them. Also applies to other software companies.

Mike.

blondie
19-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Do you want the key for your windows disk? This is one way to get the number from your hard drive for wind98:

Start >> Run

Type in Regedit

GoTo Edit >> Find

Type in ProductKey (no space between words)

Hit Enter

Be patient. Edit takes a few moments to work.

You'll be taken to the key where you can see the 25-digit key

Don't alter anything in the registry or you could cause serious problems. Just look, not touch.

Graham L
19-08-2002, 03:58 PM
In fact, there is no code recorded on the CD. All the CDs of a batch are pressed, and they are all identical. The 25 digit MS code number, or anything else is just "a number". At the most there will be a calculation done in the setup programme, to check whether the number you enter is a "legal" one. Old Windows would accept an all "0" code. I don't think that Microsoft phone help lines, or registration would accept that. ;-)

blondie
19-08-2002, 03:58 PM
sorry, yours and mikes replies weren't there when I started replying. Ignore my post.

rodb
19-08-2002, 04:01 PM
If you are looking for info re already installed programs, run Belarc Advisor.
The serial numbers (and any key numbers) for your installed software will be listed under "Software Licenses"

Pibs
19-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Hi, The orange sticker on the back of the CD case, I changed the covers to the thin type from Dick Smiths electronics, as I will be changing the PC in the next few months I will be getting new discs no doubt, but I wanted to wipe the PC before I gave it to somebody and I feel comfortable with Word 2000, I will have to log off and earn a crust so thanks again, Pibs

Mike
19-08-2002, 04:05 PM
> If you are looking for info re already installed
> programs, run Belarc Advisor.
> The serial numbers (and any key numbers) for your
> installed software will be listed under "Software
> Licenses"

not always - I just ran Belarc advisor last night, and the only Key numbers it gave was for some MS Beta software I have installed. Gave product numbers for the other Microsoft software, but no key numbers.

Mike.

Pibs
19-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Thank you all, gives one a feeling of reassurance with the knowwledge and help out the Pibs

Sami
19-08-2002, 05:10 PM
When I acquired my first 386 PC back in 1992 I bought a Collins 8 X 5 hard cover index book into which I enter all CD keys, registration details, serial numbers and all other information relevant to all software. Also place a self-adhesive label on the CDs or floppies bearing the same information. Saves a lot of head scratching!

Graham L
19-08-2002, 05:23 PM
But Sami, you were supposed to use the computer, and store such information in a file on the hard disk. That would mean that when he disk crashed, you could replace the disk, and have all the essential information to reinstall everything safely on the computer's hard disk .... which GAAAAH ... :D

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Check out here:

http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=23811

Chilling_Silence

Sami
19-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Mmmm, yes, I know, and I feel really guilty when I reach for my little notebook and pencil. Pure ludditeism, but it works!

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2002, 05:43 PM
What's a luddite??

godfather
19-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Luddites spurn technology, live a simple life (a little like, or stricter than, Amish)

There used to be a wonderful site www.luddite.com (its gone now) that was a satirical offering of luddite laptops (made of natural wood)

Sami
19-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Actually, the Luddites were an early 19 century political and social movement in the UK comprising radical reformers and workers who resisted the introduction of machinery that replaced manual labour in factories and on farms. During the Napoleonic wars there was much unemployment, low wages and starvation. Some resorted to violence and destruction of looms and similar plant. It was not a religious movement.