PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Shutdown

Chao is back
19-08-2002, 11:50 AM
I'm running Windows XP on a Pentium II 300 mhz computer. when i shutdown occasionally it hangs when the screen goes blank except for the background, after around 30 seconds it goes to the logging out and saving your settings screen.
Is this because of my slow computer, or is it because of a bug.

godfather
19-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Its probably struggling with resources to end a process, and if it does always complete the operation you may cause more trouble trying to "fix" something when its not broken.

You do have minimum specs for XP, so some compromise might be expected, as you suggest. I run 667Mhz P3, 256 Mb Ram, XP and it sits there often for 10 secs or so, as an indication.

mejobloggs
19-08-2002, 03:27 PM
haha, slow computer that does it? No Way!

Mine hangs on the bit where it says windows is shutting down, and this is the specs for my comp.

Athlon XP 2100
XP Pro
1024 mb DDR333 ram
Geforce 4 MX 460

There is a patch to stop this happening, which i installed, but it still happens every now and again.

mejobloggs
19-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey, if you want to here some really weird things about XP Pro, and my computer, here you are.

I had it start up in DOS instead of XP Pro. which freaked me, since XP isnt meant to have DOS.

The demo of cricket 2002 restarts my computer when i get into it.

M y computer suddenly restarts sometimes.

When you dont shut down XP properly, it does that Disk Check thing. Mine always locks up after that.

And loads of other weird problems.

daves
12-02-2004, 08:36 PM
try having the power supply checked out,if it is running at the limit or has a minor fault the supply could be resetting,causing what seems like a re-boot.Also some machines these days are shipped with marginal supplies ans thses cause problems after some time operating.