PDA

View Full Version : Direct X 8.1

Tuatara
18-08-2002, 07:36 PM
When I try to play Warcraft III, it says it cannot initialize DirectX. I have DirectX 8.1 installed (I have checked in DxDiag). When testing Test Direct 3D, it succeeds when testing DirectX 7, but when it comes to DirectX 8 it comes up with the message "Failure at step 5 (Get Device Caps): HRESULT=0x887606a (3D not available)". Are these two linked somehow? I had the same problem with my old PC, and even got it to run once on my new PC, but now it also shows up the same problem. The system is very good specs, so that is not an problem.

Chao is back
18-08-2002, 08:41 PM
You might have older drivers try downloading some new drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer's site

robo
18-08-2002, 08:42 PM
What's your video memory like? I've passed tests in some games but won't run because video card not up to it.
robo.

Tuatara
31-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I updated the driver for the graphics card (which has 128mb of memory) and it still did not do the trick. In a final effort I installed DirectX 6 and then reinstalled DirectX 8 over the top of that from another source and it works!

Thanks for helping out. It was much appreciated.