PDA

View Full Version : Printer turns on and off by itself.

Randolph
18-08-2002, 06:18 PM
My H P Deskjet 600 printer, when switched on at the wall, has recently started switching itself on and off at periodic intervals. I now leave the wall switch off, but it is annoying when the printer turns itself off in the middle of printing a document. Otherwise it is working just fine.

Is it likely to be a simple switch fault, or more likely to be the circuit card?Has anyone else experienced a similar thing? Any suggestions welcome.

SoniKalien
18-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Make sure the power cord is inserted snugly into the back of the printer. If the printer is on a desk that is not stable, it can wobble a lot, and thus wiggle the cord loose out of the back.

Tony S.
18-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Sorry I can't help you, but have had the same problem with my HP 690C. After about a month of switching on or off in the middle of the night, or any other time, it suddenly righted itself. A loose connection will switch it off, but not on. It is annoying, so hope yours comes right too.

godfather
18-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Be aware that anything inhibiting free carriage travel will cause the printer to turn off, as a protective measure. Make sure the printhead is free and unobstructed, no gunk or corrosion on the axis bar.

SoniKalien
18-08-2002, 09:53 PM
> A loose connection will
> switch it off, but not on.

An insecure connection may just turn something on when it connects too...