PDA

View Full Version : My computer doesn't power down completely

Gill
18-08-2002, 01:41 PM
I am running windows ME and recently upgrade my RAM to 256 and installed a 3D grahpic card - nvidia TNT2 M64.
Since the up grade the computer does not power down completely - goes through a sequence at shut down and the screen goes black but there are still fans running and my monitor display "read out" is still on as well as the lights on my keyboard.
Then I have to hold the power button in and count to 10 to get it to turn off - and this is detected as incomplete shut down so that when I turn it on it does a scandisk (though I have figured how to turn this off now)

I have been online and tried quite a lot of the things that are suggested at the Windows website (thanks goodness for System Restore) nothing has worked so far.

When I looked at the bootlog.prv. From my surfed information I assume the last line should be endterminate = kernel............well I can see that line but then it proceeds with commands that appear to be removing drivers that look a bit like this line I have copied out eg. Removing Client for Microsoft networks Network\VREDIR\0000) There are about 80 other lines - usually one starting with "Removing" then the next starting "Removed" It this OK?
Not sure if I'm even on the right track.

Thought I should look for the updated drivers for this card but to be honest there were so many choices that I just wasn't sure what to do.....if the card has just been installed using the CD that came in the box, will this necessarily mean that they are out of date?

Is it likely to be the RAM upgrade - could it be holding up the shut down?

Would appreciate some help on this, thanks in advance

godfather
18-08-2002, 01:52 PM
More likely to be the video drivers, and the ones with the card are not necessarily the best, after all when they put them on the CD they had no idea what system and hardware you would be using.

You obviously know the card model,and your operating system, so try to sort out the latest drivers from that perspective.

antmannz
18-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Go here (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows9x) and download and install the Detonator XP Driver. Nvidia place their video drivers for all cards into the one file, so it should see you right.

Gill
18-08-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi Antmannz
Well I've spent a bit of time downloading the latest drivers and held my breath that this would solve the problem.
Installation went smoothly but there is no change in the incomplete shut down problem.
I wonder if anyone has ideas about what to try next.

antmannz
19-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Gill

There's a whole heap of good shutdown info for WinMEhere (http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnme.php).

I notice that one of the paragraphs mentions nVidia drivers, and that it may be better not upgrading them. Urkkkk !!! :O