PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted fonts in MS Word/Powerpoint

wraith
18-08-2002, 11:22 AM
Help! After I install MS Office 2000 or XP, the only fonts I can use in MS Word is Roman 10 CPI, all the other fonts in my Window\Fonts directory can't be used. (MS Powerpoint just doesn't show the fonts, but can use them by typing the font names in.) I've even reformatted my hard drive, installed Win98SE, hardware drivers and then MS Office, the same problem still occurs. This problem exists for both Office 2000 and XP. No one I asked know what problem this is. I tried installing the Office on other systems and they turn out fine. Does this mean it is a hardware problem?

My system is Intel Pentium III 733EB, 256MB SD-Ram, 60GB Maxtor hard-drive (1GB FAT16 partition on C-Drive), Asus AGP-V3800 Ultra video card (NVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra chipset), Creative SB-Live! 1024 sound-card, Ricoh MP 7240A CD-RW Drive, Windows 98 SE, MS Office 2000/XP.

antmannz
18-08-2002, 11:39 AM
How many fonts are installed on the PC? Win98 has a limit of about 600 or so.

I'd be kinda surprised if you had that many fonts installed, but ......

wraith
22-08-2002, 05:21 PM
I had only 181 fonts installed. And I even had some removed previously. And the problem is still there.

Excel and Frontpage works fine, though. Only Word and Powerpoint has this problem. And I need to use Word a lot.

parry
22-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Hi I had a quick look in the MSKB and there was an article on fonts being unavailable & solution to install SR1 for Office2k. The article was actually about Publisher which is not your problem but I would install all the Service Releases from Office Update to that that out of the equation... http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates/

cheers
Parry

wraith
26-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Ahh... finally, after MANY days & nights of hard labour (and countless hard disk formats and reinstallations), I finally found out what my problem is. So ladies and gentlemen, gather up and listen to this $1m dollar answer, for this may affect some of you as well!

The culprit with the missing fonts mystery is ..... PRINTERS !!! Yes folks! You heard that right, MS Office has a very strange 'feature' of showing you only the fonts that your printer can use. Now you might be interested in knowing what kind of printers I have that don't support all the fonts. This is actually a very interesting one. You see, I DON'T have any printers, but I do have a "Generic/Text-Only Printer" installed. You can find this printer driver by going to Start Menu -> Settings -> Printers -> Add Printer -> Manufacturers: "Generic", Printers: "Generic / Text-Only". This is a 'fake' printer that prints a document to a file on the hard disk in a text-only format. I use this 'printer' mainly for debugging purposes only. And this printer only supports ONE font!!

Phew, I don't know how many hairs I have pulled out to get this solution..!! But at last, I can finally extricate myself from this chair and go eat something. Hmm.... strange, how come my legs won't work? .....

antmannz
26-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the solution, wraith :)