PDA

View Full Version : Ms Dos version help

sandy beach
18-08-2002, 03:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I am confused about the msdos version. I type using Windows 98 in MSDOS environment the following command:

VER

and the result:

Windows 98 [Version 4.10.2222]

Im sure that this is the command to know what dos version I have. How do I know which DOS Version I am running?

So is this a really old dos version, so should I need to upgrade? I used to have Windows 3.11 on one computer and I used to use a Defrag tool. But I thought, I could run this program under dos using Windows 95, Windows 98, or higher but get the following message:

This version of Microsoft Defrag requires MS-DOS version 6.0 or higher.

Can yous explain why I can't run this tool using any operating systems higher than 3.11?

Sandy

robo
18-08-2002, 06:41 AM
Sandy
When you install Win 95 or 98, the version of DOS is a part of it. You don't have any other DOS running behind it. You don't need to upgrade.
Check in the C:\windows\command directory - all the correct versions of command prompt programs live there. You might be trying to run an old defrag. You could just start Windows in safe mode and use the Windows defrag.
robo.

Terry Porritt
18-08-2002, 08:38 AM
It is confusing, the thing to remember is that the ver command in Windows9x, gives the version of Windows you are using, not the version of DOS.

As Robo says trying to use some of the DOS 6.22 programs like defrag wont work, or at worst may cause loss of long file names etc. so stay with the dos version that comes with Windows.

Windows 95 used DOS version 7.0, Windows 98SE uses DOS version 7.10A.

A utility like Sisoft Sandra will tell you the version of DOS you have. I havent found the command that reveals this, but I suspect the version info may be in command.com

Terry Porritt
18-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Oh, I forgot, the reverse is also true, no use trying to use DOS 7 progs. on win3.11, you have to stick to DOS 6x.

sandy beach
18-08-2002, 10:52 AM
Hey thanks guys,

I kinda understand now. I still welcome anymore further info if there are any!!

Thanks for your help :-)

Sandy.

Terry Porritt
18-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Just a further thought Sandy, the utilities you need to scandisk, defrag, etc you get to from Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools.
But read the FAQs by clicking on the button at the top of the page for advice on running scandisk and defrag.