PDA

View Full Version : Bios flashing

Ron Bakker
17-08-2002, 10:14 PM
I have just upgraded from a p3 600mhz to a p4 2gighz & also a new motherboard (gigabyte 8srx). A great learning curve .
But what I was getting at is this bios flashing , apparently a good thing to do but man I still cannot quite get it . I get as far as extracting a new flash from gigabytes web site onto a (unzipped)floppy but in the bios utility when it ask for the file path there are two different files on the floppy.(8srx.10c )and (flash855)I hope I am being clear.

Graham Petrie
17-08-2002, 10:33 PM
I have only ever flashed an award BIOS.

What it does is re-write the binary code in COMS with the new BIOS. The file is one *.bin (binary) file. Read the instruction son the manufacturers website. The url is here (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/procedure1.htm). I am sure there is a simple solution. Perhaps you have a zip file and have to extract it first or something. Sorry I can't help further.

G P

Graeme
17-08-2002, 10:57 PM
The instructions on that link you posted look fairly clear - you create a boot floppy disk, extract two files from the downloaded zip file and copy them to the floppy disk. Then you go into the bios and tell it to boot from floppy - then it reboots (with the floppy disk in the floppy drive of course) and automatically updates the bios when it boots from the floppy.

(I just updated my BIOS on my Intel PC today - all I had to do was run a downloaded exe file from the hard drive).

Graeme

Graham Petrie
17-08-2002, 11:10 PM
So did it work???

G P

Terry Porritt
17-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Not familiar with Gigabyte, but most probably one file will be the binary data file that loads into the BIOS and the other will be the flash utility.

You MUST ensure you have absolutely the correct data file for your board, else goodbye mobo, and follow the instructions exactly to the letter, especially as regards any switches specified to use with the flash utilty, like for saving a copy of the existing BIOS to the floppy before flashing starts. Try not to flash if there is going to be a power cut :) :)

(I have a second bios chip that the main one piggy backs onto, so I can afford to play around a bit like making ones own logos and screens, and it doesnt matter if things go wrong, I can switch bios's and reflash)

Graeme
17-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi
My motherboard is an Intel D845GRG and the BIOS update did work - although I was nervous as I'd never done it before - it kept all my BIOS settings too, despite Intel's readme file saying my BIOS settings would all be lost - but the BIOS definitely has the new version number now instead of the old one.

BTW - my DOCMEM ram test just failed/froze again after lasting for 45 minutes this time - so now I will try the memtest program you posted.

Graeme

godfather
17-08-2002, 11:28 PM
I assume you *have* to flash the BIOS?

General rule is don't unless you have to, for if it goes wrong, as pointed out, its often the end of the motherboard.

Ron Bakker
17-08-2002, 11:43 PM
It's a good thing that my new motherboard has dual bios seeing as I tried updating from the internet with the auto bios utility & it made the pc buzz & squeal in quite a unusual fashion. so I loaded the defualt settings.
thanks for the replys

-=JM=-
18-08-2002, 12:04 AM
Some Gigabyte boards have what is called a DUAL-BIOS. Which is effectively what Terry Porritt is using. This will when one bios is different from the other give you the option to reflash the first chip with the second chips BIOS or vice versa.

Or just to boot with them different.