PDA

View Full Version : Noise

Umininn
17-08-2002, 08:50 PM
I've bought my computer back in 2000 (i bought the parts and put them together). around six months ago I started up my computer once and got this horrible grinding noise. the computer still runs okay. no noises while my computer is running after the window welcome screen though.

And today I got the noise again. I restarted 3 times when it made the noises and each time it came when window XP is starting up. But after the welcome screen the noise is gone. other than that, there's no more grinding noise while i work on my computer.

can someone tell me what's wrong -- the noise sound grinding and scratchy.. and my blood turns cold when i hear this noise..

thanks.

godfather
17-08-2002, 08:58 PM
I am assuming the noise is not coming from the PC speakers.

The most common reason is bearings in the fan, and they start usually at start-up and come right shortly after, but it gets worse as they age, and eventually is continuous.

If its a fan (either on power supply, CPU or video card) you have to ascertain if, when it stops, the fan is actually still going. If it is stopping then you have a potentially expensive overheat looming.

If its running, get a new one fitted before it fails or drives you crazy.

Hard drives can make noises but if its that bad I think it would have died?

Sam H
17-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Sounds to me like the cooling fan is on it's way out, I have experienced this problem and it was due to the fan brushes being buggered. The reason for this sound only happening sometimes while starting up is because the fan is trying to reach full speed still. If you were me then a new cooling fan would be on my shopping list.

Hope this helps,

Regards
Sam.

Chris Wilson
17-08-2002, 10:52 PM
i've seen a HD that was noisy like that.
seeing you have to open your comp up to fix it, i suggest you open it up and put a small hose to your ear, and listen round... you'll soon find exactly which bit is grinding...
its probably a fan... theyre noizy!

Wilky
30-08-2002, 08:04 AM
My bloody fan is starting to do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It got replaced two months ago because of the same reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneone
It may be a wire brushing against the fan, with me it probably is.