PDA

View Full Version : Netmeeting not connecting

denise
17-08-2002, 06:53 PM
I have installed a webcam which comes with MS Netmeeting. Everything seems to be okay but I can't make a call. I think I am missing something simple. I am running 98 and have version 3.0. I get 2 different messages:
First one which comes up every call I try to make is: "Netmeeting could not find the name of the person you are trying to call on the directory server. Check to make sure the address is correct, or change the address type in the USING box." I have tried the 3 different ways in the USING box - all with the same result and needless to say the address is correct (a valid email address). The other message I get is :" The Directory Server could not be found. You may not be connected to the network, or you may have mistyped the server name. To change your server, in Netmeeting, click options. In Netmeeting click Options in the Tools menu, and select the general Tab" - The Directory I am using is Microsoft Internet Directory which is there by default. Please help.

godfather
17-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Denise, have a look at this site, it may assist.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/review/317761.html

madmusician66
17-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Hey
I used to have problems along the same lines as yours. This is how I managed to solve them:
For setup I reccommend you:
Do NOT list your name on directory servers
Do NOT log onto a directory server
(Click Tools then Options to change)

On your computer you wish to use as the host for netmeeting, go into netmeeting (duh), Click Call then click Host Meeting, and set it up how you want it to be set up, then, Click Call and click Automatically Accept Incoming Calls

On your client PC for netmeeting, start netmeeting, and then type the IP Address of the server machine

The Server/host/etc should automatically accept the call from the client and hey presto you have netmeeting enabled

Terry Porritt
17-08-2002, 08:55 PM
Netmeeting can be notoriously tricky to use Denise. I usually use the IP address of the person Im calling (family) or vice-versa, but I think your problem is that the Microsoft Internet Directory is no longer used.

When I just checked in version 3.01 to use the Directory I got these messages "The Microsoft Internet Directory service has been supeseded by features now provided with MSN Messenger".... "Click here to download MSN Messenger".

Maybe thats what you have to do.

Alternatively there are many "ils" servers around for contacting random people, or to arrange with your friends to use a particular one.
Beware most of these servers have many undesirable types logged onto them.

This is one list of servers:
http://www.devx.com/netmeeting/bestservers.asp

Have fun

J ZEP
17-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Hi Denise, on top of what the other posts have advised - I set netmeeting up last week again and still get those messages too at times - couple of tips are if you get that or are unsucessful with the call, turn off the program and restart, it seems to clear it and i read it in the help too. Also as Terry said the microsoft directory has been superseded and the default server i am using which works is : hello.connectedpc.com
and i use version 3.01 but on xp. Hope that may be of help to you.

denise
17-08-2002, 09:46 PM
So Terry, do I enter helloconnected.com under Directory Settings and I assume the person at the other end has to be using the same Directory yes?

denise
17-08-2002, 09:47 PM
oops sorry wrong person J Zep.

denise
17-08-2002, 09:48 PM
thanks but link won't display

denise
17-08-2002, 09:50 PM
this link doesn't seem to be working either, but thanks for advice

denise
17-08-2002, 10:06 PM
obviously just my connection - link working now thanks and very informative - seems many people have trouble connecting, not just me. Cheers

Terry Porritt
17-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Hello again Denise, if you intend only to connect with friends and family, then a good way to go is for you all to use a program like ICQ, so that you can communicate through a chat window whilst you are trying to set up and connect with NM. Both programs can run together. You can get each others (dynamic) IP addresses, and then one of you put that into the Place a Call box, and ring the other.
There can also be problems with video and audio, but eventually they will sort themselves out.

If you intend to chat with strangers via server directories then be careful. Follow MadMusicians advice.
If you use a directory to connect with a friend, then you can log off from the directory once contact is established, then the undesirables can't see you.

Im not up with the current state of play with ils directories, Ive just checked a number and theyre not all working.
They were the way to go before NM3, but seem to be falling into disuse now after MS dropped their own directory servers , and who are now obsessed with MSN, Hotmail, and "Passport" 'rubbish', depending on your viewpoint.

J ZEP
18-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Denise - yes you do enter it under Directory settings, and for some reason it was my default one - on both computers i set up too, so i presumed it must have been the microsoft replacement one or something OR it may be the default one for my Intel Phone now i think about it? - Anyway it seems to work most of the time for us both on different systems, but as the others have said - make sure you set it up like Madmusician said and don't include yourself in the directory (unless you want to) especially if you are just using it for friends and family. Hope you get it working cause it is a handy tool to have for friends and family overseas etc... Goodluck!!!

denise
19-08-2002, 11:31 AM
okay everyone, thanks for all the help. Is anyone willing to be my guinea pig at the other end for a trial run? Person I want to connect with is overseas and I don't want to spend a fortune trying to get it organised by phone etc. Thanks

Terry Porritt
20-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Hello Denise, I see no one has volunteered to be your guinea pig, unless Ive missed a post. Maybe this is because it can be quite a long winded effort to get NM up and running smoothly. Here are my thoughts on this to help you along further. Others may suggest improvements, or alternative ways.

1. It is quite essential to have a chat program like ICQ (mention that because I use and like it) so that you can communicate with your contact whilst trying to set up and use NM. You can tell each other what you are doing, and you wont be left sitting there in the dark wondering whats going on, or, say both of you trying to call up at the same time etc.
You register online to get an ICQ number, and then you have to mutually authorize your contacts so they appear on the contacts list.
You can tell when your contact is online, the flower next to their name turns blue.

2.You dont have to use the phone, use email to arrange a time to be online at the same time as your contact. In fact if you are online, you cant use the phone if you are on dial up ISP and only one line.

3.Earphones are nearly essential to use, to prevent echos, ie hearing your own voice come back from the other end if they and or you are using speakers. Speakers feed back into the microphone.

4. Use the NM audio tuning wizard to set up the microphone level.
Open the volume controls from the speaker icon in the system tray and ensure that the microphone control is set to mute, else there will be acoustic feed back round your soundcard.
Some microphones, eg those that come with modems may not not work.
Even though the tuning wizard may say your mic is working, that is no guarantee that audio is coming out the other end of the call.
If you dont see the coloured level bar working in tuning wizard, then there will definitely be no audio the other end.

5. Make a shortcut to winipcfg.exe which is in the windows folder, to your desktop. When you are online opening this will give you your current IP address. If you are on dial up remember it changes each time you dial up and log on to the internet. If your contact does the same, then one of you can enter the others IP address in the call box and make the call. The other will hear a ring, see a flashing icon in the tray, clicking that will open a window and option to accept the call.

This is VERY much the best way and avoids all those nasty servers which have been taken over by the sex industry, I wouldnt even bother logging onto a server at all, there's no need to do that with specific contacts.

( Out of that old list I posted, there was only one decent clean server)

6. Make yourself familiar with the options and settings under Tools. Make sure that "Video camera properties" are not grayed out, and that your video camera gives you a good picture. You may need to adjust lighting, and avoid direct outside light going straight into the camera.

7.The weekends are not a good time for NetMeeting, there is a lot of congestion and audio and video will probably break up.
Turning off video can give a bit more bandwidth to improve audio when there is break up.

8. After thought: your sound card should be Duplex, ie 2-way conversation. All are now, but not all old 16 bit ISA ones are.

If I think of anything else I will add to this thread.

denise
20-08-2002, 05:19 PM
thanks so much for the info. Will keep trying. Cheers