PDA

View Full Version : XP freezing completely

Callum
17-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Could anyone offer an explanation as to why Xp locks up -- often -- to the extent that nothing works and only using the reset is the only resort. On one ocasion after resetting and getting as far as the desktop it locked again.
Is it possible that it's a hardware problem?.

antmannz
17-08-2002, 07:54 PM
Could be anything; could you please post more details, such as:
+ The details of your system
+ What was open when the pc froze
= What you were using when the pc froze

godfather
17-08-2002, 08:38 PM
XP is much more fault tolerant than previous OS's so its more likely to be hardware than software, it would be fairly serious to achieve a total lock-up. Video drivers are the only thing that have ever locked this PC up.

J ZEP
17-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Perhaps you could look at the Dr Watson log of errors that xp has and it may point you in the direction of which/what is causing the probs??? At least you can see if it seems to be a program in paticular etc... may be a start?? But as antmanz said if you could provide a few more detail about when it happens etc...as it could be anything. ?:|

Sam H
17-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Callum please gives us some more info on your system hardware, software and what you are doing when it locks up.

Also, do the following

Click Start, Help and Support, under the Pick a Task heading click 'Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.'

Now on the left hand side click Advanced System Information, then on the right click 'View the error log'.

If there are errors listed in there that correspond with the time your computer is locking up then tell us what they say.

Regards
Sam

Graham Petrie
17-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks Sam - Another feature I didn't know about, may is very useful.

Cheers.

In my experience, the only problems that have made my XP PC freeze indefinitely are driver/hardware probs. Software probs seem to come right if left for two or three minutes.

G P

Callum
17-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Thanks for that
Where would i find Dr Watson log?
All this is like wandering about in a maze with one's eyes shut
regards
Callum

J ZEP
18-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Hi Callum - Sam has given you a way to view the Dr W errors or if you want to go straight to the Dr Watson log - Start - Run - (In the "open" box) type - drwtsn32 - o.k and that will take you to it too!
Or if you want to find out a little about it and go to it go: Start - Help & Support - Index - Type in Dr Watson - and there you have it! But as the others have said i think it may be hardware to do that? Hope that helps anyway!