PDA

View Full Version : Sun Java Download

Rod ger
17-08-2002, 11:56 AM
I've had a bit of a problem with Opera Java on internet banking (wrong dates) and so the thread abount the latest release of Sun Java seemed like a good idea.

BUT on trying to download from the Sun site all I get is a lot of activity as the download progresses (it does not activate Stardownloader) and at the end of 40 mins NOTHING. No autoinstall, nothing in my temp file, or download file. 11.7MB gone up in electrons.

I've tried without my firewall and AV on, but it makes no difference.

Running Win98 original and Opera.
Any help appreciuated.

kiwibeat
17-08-2002, 12:09 PM
I too have problems probably as i use the non java version of opera i just use Explorer for my banking

Rod ger
17-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Hi Kiwibeat,
Sorry, not an option as I got rid of IE years ago(too dangerous). I have tried Mozilla which is OK but I like to run my computer along the principals of less is better(KISS).

Plus I'd like to know what I am doing wrong!

I have checked out Opera's website and followed their instructions and arrived at exactly the same link, so I think that part is OK. What happens to everybody else when the download starts??

Kiwitas
17-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi Rod ger,

I can't log into my Bank using IE but have no problems with Mozilla,

So I too downloaded Sun Java.It didn't help?
Sun Java ends up in the Control Panel on W98.

Not sure if it didn't self install? Others may be more help!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

mark c
17-08-2002, 02:17 PM
I somehow got "Java 2 runtime environment" on this machine. Have no recollection of downloading and installing. Didn't used to be there and I wonder if it came with an IE update. Not v helpful I know but that's my experience.

Rod ger
17-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Hi Kiwitas,
You can check your registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft

Entries in there will indicate if some form of Java is installed.

Nothing Java shows up in my Control Panel or Registry. Weird!!