PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall WindowsXP and install WindowsME

michael8
16-08-2002, 11:31 PM
I recently uninstalled WinME and installed WinXP. I have a pentium 3, 733mhz, 384 MB. I now want to uninstall WinXP and get back to WinME. There is no uninstall option in windows Xp control panel. I tried formatting with the WinMe disk after rebooting by typing 'format c:' but it says 'bad command or file name'. I also tried formatting in Command Prompt in Windows Xp, but it says it cannot format because the volume is still running and that it cannot lock the drive. When I try to run the windows ME setup from the WinME cd, it says the following error:-
16 bit Windows Subsystem - 'An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application'. When I push ignore instead, it says 'Setup cannot run from within Windows 2000. Shut down Windows 2000. Restart your computer using Windows 95 or Windows 98 and then run Setup. Otherwise, start MS-DOS, and then run setup from the MS-DOS command prompt.' Does anyone know of any other ways to uninstall Windows Xp and install Windows ME?

Graham Petrie
17-08-2002, 12:59 AM
Michael, can I firstly advise you to backup any critical data to an external source.

What I assume has happened, is that you have XP installed on a NTFS disk. It is also possible that part of the disk was dorrupted/damaged (not physically or permanently I think) during your various attempts to format it.

You may find some useful information by searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&).

Otherwise, I would try a ME emergency boot disc (available on the net i you serch, or you can get one from a friend using ME by going to Control Panel>Add/Remove Windows Coponents>Emergency Boot Disc, and inserting a formatted floppy at the prompt.

You can then boot to an ME command line and retry the format c: command.

When I have a spare moment I will havea look on the Knowledge Base for you.

Let us know how you get on.

G P

SoniKalien
17-08-2002, 01:08 AM
If you can't get a ME boot disk, then Win98 one will do.

wuppo
17-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Bootdisks available from: bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com)

teachme
17-08-2002, 11:33 AM
if your pc is broke how did u post this message

oh yeah i got win me and i can make u a startup disk if you give me winxp since you dont want it any more!

TiM:*)

Viking
17-08-2002, 12:13 PM
> if your pc is broke how did u post this message

He might have used someone elses computer, or maybe he has another PC or laptop

> oh yeah i got win me and i can make u a startup disk
> if you give me winxp since you dont want it any
> more!
>
> TiM:*)

drys
17-08-2002, 12:42 PM