PDA

View Full Version : Pop up ad attack

Waldorf
16-08-2002, 10:09 PM
I have WinMe on an Hp Computer.
Three days ago, we aquired a program off the net somewhere that dials up the internet itself and downloads a series of popup ads that swamp the system. When it happens while online, it all but kills our already pitiful bandwidth.
The only new thing I can find is a program called Winserv.exe which seems to be associated somehow. I cant uninstall it, the system wont let me. I removed it from the start menu but it reinstalls itself when the computer starts up. I can stop it with control/ alt/delete and the bandwidth problem stops immediately.
Over the last few days, I have heard fax type rings on our shed phone which is looped to the house , it wasn't a fax and the computer dials up the internet on its own even with Zonealarm locked and the modem signals starts zinging away feeding this rubbish into our machine. Pulling out the phone jack seems to be the only security. Its like some insidious bot in the system.
How do I kill this beast.l

godfather
16-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Winserv is a trojan

Download ad-aware from the net and run it. If that doesnt fix it, just do a google search on that filename, the first link gives a method for win 98, should work on ME.

Be careful where you surf....

Jen C
16-08-2002, 10:17 PM
gasp! I think you have a trojan on your PC. Check out this site (http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/385.html) for more info.

Susan B
16-08-2002, 10:21 PM
It sounds like you've got yourself a trojan.

There is some advice here (http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/385.html) that may help. If you haven't been into the registry before, be warned that doing the wrong thing can cause a lot of grief. You need to back up the registry first.

Let us know if you need more instructions.

Susan B
16-08-2002, 10:23 PM
LOL Jen! :D

kiwibeat
16-08-2002, 10:49 PM
I use pest patrol to keep trojans at bay plus norton 2002 antivirus also Fix it for registry management repairs etc ,Free surfer is good to nullify popups as well as Web washer . Be very careful about installing any software .exe files of the web especially from adult sites you can end up with huge toll bills etc. Ad-aware is good as is active privacy .

kiwibeat
16-08-2002, 10:52 PM
I also use GoBack that is essential for peace of mind in my opinion lets me undo any mistakes made intenally or not you need a large and quiet HDD however as it entails lots of HDD activity.

Waldorf
17-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all those replies guys. I'll have a go at fixing it today. I'll have to stop visiting sex sites then;)

Waldorf
17-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks SusanB. Info from your link did the trick but not as straight forward as the method described. I'll be watching out for it for a while , its made me a bit paranoid not knowing how I came by it.

Susan B
18-08-2002, 10:30 AM
Good hear of your successful results Waldorf.

You didn't say if you have an anti-virus program running or not. If you haven't, or even if you have, I'd suggest visiting an online virus scanner to see if you have any more nasties on your machine. One place to try is here (http://housecall.antivirus.com/).

You could also try running a trojan detector as they can sometimes be better at sniffing out trojans better than anti-virus programs.

It's quite easy to come by these things, especially whilst visiting unsavoury sites. You can be bombarded with so many popups and accidentally click on one that downloads stuff like this onto your machine without realising. (Not that I know myself, I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere.)