PDA

View Full Version : access denied

johnboy
16-08-2002, 09:25 PM
my son has a folder in ,, my documents when he clicks onit to open it it says it is not accessible and access is denied ,, their is nothing in it . But could someone explain simply how this happened and how to fix it win xp thanks

Marty2001
16-08-2002, 09:39 PM
If you right click on the folder and click properties - there will be a tab for sharing and one for security if it has NTFS
From here he should be able to add himself to permissions or take ownership. He may also someone else has permission and he does not.
If not, then the folder has become corrupted which is difficult to diagnose.
If the folder has no security or sharing properties - then it is very corrupted and he will need to run chkdsk to fix the corruption

johnboy
16-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Have right clicked on the file to share but it say,s ,, an error occurred while trying to share access is denied . The shared resource was not created at this time ?????won,t let me do antthing else thanks

mikebartnz
16-08-2002, 11:10 PM
What operating system and what was the name of the folder.
When asking a question give as much info as possible.

johnboy
16-08-2002, 11:15 PM
windows xp the folder is a folder in my documents,, c:\documents and settings\

johnboy
17-08-2002, 01:44 PM
TRied the above suggestions still access denied any ideas ,, please

Babe Ruth
17-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Johnboy,

Which OS are you running - WinXP Home or WinXP Pro? Also do you have an Administrative account? Please post back and I'll see what I need to tell you based on OS ver etc.

Cheers, Babe.

johnboy
17-08-2002, 02:22 PM
windows xp home edition .. I was the ist to set up on this computer if that,s what you mean by administrater ????? thanks

Babe Ruth
17-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Johnboy,

Ok XP Home... first please check for me what Type of account you have. To do this go into Start | Control Panel | user Accounts

The account types for XP Home are "Computer Administrator" (a sort of super user with more powers than) "Limited Account". If you are an Administrator you can do what ever you like to/with your computer software setup etc. Ususally, but not always, the first account setup under XP Home is an Administrator and other accounts can be setup as Limited or Administrator from there.

Ok again post back with account type because I want to take this one step at a time if you don't mind.:-)

Cheers, Babe.

johnboy
17-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Have six computer administraters and one guest account

Babe Ruth
17-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Johnboy,

Sorry mate have to go to rugby now... back at 5pm today... I will continue then if you don't mind. Promise to help.

Cheers, Babe.

johnboy
17-08-2002, 02:54 PM
good i,ve got a wedding to go to later thanks

johnboy
18-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Who won ??

johnboy
20-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Did you say you were going to south africa to watch the rugby ?? ????

J ZEP
20-08-2002, 11:24 PM
Hi Johnboy, i think you are right - and Babes having a holiday in S.A after watching the game!! Anyway don't know if this will be of any help, but it may give you a better understanding of Permissions etc...its from the M.S Knowledge base.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q308418
It does sound like the folder is corrupt, but try seeing if you can view the permissions for the folder just in case it is a simple permission??(instructions to do this in the link) as the only other thing i can think may have happened - with 6 other admin. users, maybe one of them has accidently put the folder in you sons account and set a permission, then looked for it and it wasn't in their account (hence it being empty). (Just a wild scenario). Permissions depend on having a NTFS file system too.
Hope that helps or at least shows you how permissions work if it doesn't solve your problem!!

johnboy
21-08-2002, 11:29 AM
thanks for the help have printed this out so i can read it and tried to do their suggestions but am unable to get the security tab. It say,s to disable simplifed sharing but don,t know where it is??? ..when i went to control panel to to clear the use simple file sharing check box the only only box with any thing like this is Display simple folder view in explores folders list check box thanks again

johnboy
22-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Has any body got any idea,s how to delete this file???? sorry it,s taking so long i,m seriously thinking about changing my user name to clueless???

Babe Ruth
26-08-2002, 11:21 PM
Johnboy,

I have returned... from ... don't go there!

Now the following pointers may help you:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308421)

Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307874)

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304040)

hopefully you set a watch on this or someone may see it and pass the info on.

Regards, Babe.

johnboy
26-08-2002, 11:43 PM
welcome back it must have been a good after game function ??? have tried suggestions how to take ownership of a file and folder q308421 also q308418 also q308419 but am unable too acess the security tab i need to be in safe mode ?????

Babe Ruth
27-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Hi
have I asked you what the file system of the disk is?
If you right click on the drive and select properties it should show you what the file system is - either FAT32 or NTFS
I'm guessing NTFS but... we'll check (well you can).

Second if it is NTFS and you logon as a user who is a Limted Account and click on a folder you shouldn't
(or don't) have access to then you will get a window come up with the message (example):
"C:\Documents and Settings\blueNorge is not accessable. Access is denied"
(this could be considered Normal security practise)

If you are logged on as under a Computer Administrator account you can access all folders and directories EXCEPT certain
system folders such as the \System Volume Information folder UNLESS you change the permissions to that folder.

(I know we have covered some of this ground already and I apologise, I'm just trying to get my head around the issues)

Now where does that lead us?
If the owner of the folder has made the change to the properties to "Make This Folder Private" then the folder and any
sub-folders or files is not available to anyone else on that computer only to that owner.
And only they (or an Administrator? can change that). So if the "Make This Folder Private" option has been applied to a folder
under \Documents and Settings\ (which is where the specific per-user settings are stored) then the owner of that folder can
change (reverse) the setting for "Make This Folder Private".
The option in question is found when right-clicking on the folder and using the sharing and security option.

Hmmm have I raved on enough about that? probably.

Could you check these questions/options out and post back.
Try logging on as the owner of the folder we have discussed (presumably your son) to check.

Cheers, babe.

johnboy
27-08-2002, 12:57 AM
the files are ntfs ... AND the problem is solved the box for make this folder private was checked in my son,s account and i had unchecked it ages ago when i first found the file could not be opened but i had,nt clicked apply done this after your post and it can be opened ... thank you very much
p.s my new user name is clueless ,, goodnight ...

Babe Ruth
27-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Johnboy, Don't feel bad happens (has happened) to all of us at one time or another.
Phew I'm glad it's all solved for you.

Cheers, Babe.

Clueless
27-08-2002, 02:28 AM
Sorry johnboy.....
you cant have that new name.

johnboy
27-08-2002, 09:10 AM
sorry did,nt realise there could be two of us has any one got dimwit???