PDA

View Full Version : Networking winXp to win95

jipsees
16-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Help?? Can a computer with winXP home edition be networked with an old computer running win95. I noticed that NetBUEI protocol is not listed in winXp. Is this a factor??

godfather
16-08-2002, 05:25 PM
I network a '95 with XP. No, its not an issue for me, but what do you want to do over the network?

I only run TCP/IP.

Have 3 XP pc's, 1 W95 pc, laser printer (printserver module) and ADSL router. All runs sweet.

DangerousDave
16-08-2002, 06:27 PM
urgh
I know i'm gonna be having a few problems when i can be bothered networking my 2 '98 machines and a XP home one, cos the '98 ones are quite old and last time i stuck a network card in one it totally screwed the puter, so that i had to format :( oh well, you don't get anywhere in life without risk and effort ;)
- David

Marty2001
16-08-2002, 06:41 PM
Make sure TCP/IP is running on the W95 PC
Then they will connect. You have to log into the W95 PC with a username and password set up in the XP PC (right click my computer - select manage - open users and groups and add a user for the W95PC
If you have not set up the network to this point - pse advise progress

Stumped Badly
16-08-2002, 09:29 PM
I also pefer TCP/IP but if you want netbeui on XP it is not installed by default but you can install it from the XP CD.
You can find netbeui in:
"Whatever your CD Drive":\VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI

* copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory
* copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ directory
* open network connection properties and use "Install..." button to add NetBEUI protocol

You will have to select folder options & select show all files to find everything as I think some of the files are hidden.
I installed it & it works fine with '95

HTH