PDA

View Full Version : Winbond serial ISA card

antmannz
16-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Has anyone had any experience with an ISA serial card using Winbond W86C551 chips? The card has two serial plugs out the back, heaps of jumpers and has SPC21XX printed on it.

My problem is that I can't seem to get NT4 sp6 to utilise COM1 and COM3 together. COM1 is set to: I/O 3f8, IRQ4 (specified as this in the BIOS as well); COM3 is set to: I/O 3e8, IRQ5. System is a Dell Dimension v333, with an external modem using COM2 with no probs.

The app using COM3 runs fine, and the app using COM1 starts fine, but is unable to communicate over the port.

I've done a Google - but www.winbond.com.tw is useless, and the only pdf file I've come across illustrates a card way different from this one.

Any ideas, pleeeaaassseee ???

Graham L
16-08-2002, 04:51 PM
I assume that you are trying to use one of the ports on this card as COM3. Are you sure that you have its IRQ set to 5? And is it actually detected [/b] as COM3? The jumpers can be confusing. The default IRQs are: COM1 - 4, COM2 - 3, COM3 - 4, COM4 - 3. Your external modem works OK -- is that on the motherboard COM2?. Or have you got only one motherboard COM port?.

antmannz
16-08-2002, 05:11 PM
Yep, trying to use one of the ports as COM3. Software wise the IRQ is 5, hardware wise, who knows? There's no documentation, and a heap of non-understandable jumpers.
There is only one motherboard COM port, the modem is connected to the add-in card and works OK as COM2.

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2002, 05:12 PM
I've got many ISA cards like that that go perfect if you want them? Parallel and Serial!

antmannz
16-08-2002, 05:15 PM
To be honest I'd prefer to get this one running right. Apparently it used to all work fine, then some tech (not myself - phew!!) reinstalled NT4 and it hasn't been right since. :(

Graham L
16-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Some one "improved" things ...

If it has worked, and now it doesn't, that will be software. I know nothing about NT4. The problem has always been that it's easy to detect the IO port adresses in use, but interrupts reported by "test" programmes are usually assumptions.

But I'd expect the COM3 device to be the one to not work of 1 & 3... COM1 is using its standard IRQ4. If COM3 uses IRQ5, and the application finds that, it *can't* foul up COM1.

The "usual" addresses are COM1 - 3f8, COM2 - 2f8, COM3 - 3e8, COM4 - 2e8. If you can boot DOS, and use DEBUG, the COM addresses are at 0040:000 on (2 bytes for each port) . They should look like: f8 03 f8 02 e8 03 00 00 ... (with 00 00 for COM 4 because it isn't there).

antmannz
16-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Yep, thats waht I would've thought Graham. Ah well, can't do anything bout it at the moment, I'll take another look Monday. :)

johnson
25-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi, I find your topic useful for me, but I find it difficult to set jumper settings for com ports. Also, would you send me this card driver for Windows 98, please. When I insert on mainboard, one driver file is missed. Please send driver to e-mail: onshun@hkbn.net thank a lot

Has anyone had any experience with an ISA serial card using Winbond W86C551 chips? The card has two serial plugs out the back, heaps of jumpers and has SPC21XX printed on it.

My problem is that I can't seem to get NT4 sp6 to utilise COM1 and COM3 together. COM1 is set to: I/O 3f8, IRQ4 (specified as this in the BIOS as well); COM3 is set to: I/O 3e8, IRQ5. System is a Dell Dimension v333, with an external modem using COM2 with no probs.

The app using COM3 runs fine, and the app using COM1 starts fine, but is unable to communicate over the port.

I've done a Google - but www.winbond.com.tw is useless, and the only pdf file I've come across illustrates a card way different from this one.

Any ideas, pleeeaaassseee ???