PDA

View Full Version : norton antivirus updates

trevw100
16-08-2002, 07:32 AM
Can anyone tell me please..is it safe to delete previously downloaded updates from my downloads folder..like 0311i32.exe and so on as there is a lot of old ones there. Do the new updates automatically include all the previous antivirus files? Thanking you for any help you may be.

Buddy
16-08-2002, 08:05 AM
trevw100. I would be inclined to contact norton about this. I am also using norton, and the updates are on auto. Will keep an eye on this thread. Could be some interesting info come out of this.

B.M.
16-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Trevw100,

Yep, you should be OK to delete these, as I have had no problems doing so.

Now these are the Nortons ones found in:

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Symantic\LiveUpdate\Downloads. (or similar depending on OS)

Donít delete the folder itself, just the contents.

The actual file you mention Iím not familiar with, but a little trick I use is to rename files that I think are surplus to requirements by placing xxx in front of their filename. Then every month or so, if Iíve had no trouble, I round up all the xxx files using the Find facility in Windows and delete them. If you do cause yourself a mischief you can easly find the file that youíve renamed and remove the xxx and you should be back in business.

Buddy
17-08-2002, 06:57 AM
I just knew I'd learn something! Thanks Trevw100.

Buddy
17-08-2002, 06:59 AM
Thanks B.M.

Marty2001
17-08-2002, 07:06 AM
The 0311i32.exe are definitions dated 11 March for windows 95 and above
Look at when the files were last modified - you only need one of these
which will be the latest.
If you double click on them, they will try and update your PC with virus defintions at that date (But it will not work because your current defintitions will be later