PDA

View Full Version : why jive, and not say, phpBB!

sal 
16-08-2002, 02:29 AM
maybe this has already been discussed, and reasons given, but i was wanting to know why you guys choose to take the forum down the 'jive' (i have no idea what it is) path instead of a using newer, open source BB like phpBB?

my experience with it so far as a user has been great, and just recently being the admin of my own has been excellant also. the many mods, styles (avatars :D) make this in my opinion a great BB.

grtz sal.
nz

-=JM=-
16-08-2002, 09:49 AM
They did seriously consider phpBB but in the end they ended up with the Jive package.

There willl be many reasons for them choosing this package. One of them being the language that is used. Bruce and the others probably like using this language or wanted to learn it more.

Biggles
16-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Teachme.co.nz=JSP, ProductFinder.co.nz=JSP, other new products in development=JSP, Jive=JSP, do you see a pattern yet?

sal 
16-08-2002, 02:53 PM
umm, yes, you like to play it safe, and not use different scripting languages

grtz sal.
nz

Biggles
16-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Really. You seem to be able to draw a lot of conclusions about our development environment, business plans and training needs based on very little. So maybe I'll spell it out in simple terms, since that appears to be what you need.

We do NOT feel the need to introduce another technology when there is a solution available that suits our needs well and uses the technology we are already investing in. Simple enough for you? Or perhaps you can explain to me both the technology and business advantages in choosing to introduce an extra scripting language to our very small development team that does not help them learn the skills needed to work on the almost exclusively Java JSP projects they have on the agenda?