PDA

View Full Version : computer suddenly re starts itself ....help

unity
15-08-2002, 06:37 PM
hya
can anyone help me, my machine keeps suddenly just re starting itself ??? there is no warning nothing, I am a noivice to the internal workings of this thing I am running windows 98 with I Explorer 5.5 please email me at jenese@xtra.co.nz many thanks

Jen C
15-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Can't help with the PC problem, but some helpful forum posting advice instead.

If somebody has an answer for your question they will reply only to your thread. Personal emails to the poster means that no one else gets to read or add to the advice given (and perhaps learn from it). Giving out your private email address is very risky and may be pick up by spammers.

Jen :)

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 08:11 PM
1) How often ?
2) Regular or spasmodic ?
3) Are you using a power filter ?

SiK

asdex
16-08-2002, 01:17 PM
I have seen this problem and fixed it in bios settings. I think the computer was being turned on by a network setting or wake up type of thing. A faulty power supply can cause this or Windows fast shutdown not being disabled. The computer i fixed was shuttind down compleatly then after a few seconds, start up.
asdex

supergran
16-08-2002, 09:22 PM
It isn't a Hewlitt Packard is it? My daughters puter does it every Tuesday morning at 8.30am, but we never figured out how to fix it. :(

Marty2001
16-08-2002, 09:41 PM
For supergran
Look in Winnt - tasks or control panel scheduled tasks - see if anything is scheduled for 8:30
Also check the antivirus program and see if it is scheduled to do anything at 8:30

unity
16-08-2002, 09:43 PM
thanks for the tip i will rember in future

unity
16-08-2002, 09:46 PM
thanks for replying no i am not using a power filter
it happens on a regualar basis spasmodicaly in other words there is no ryme nor reason to it.....also i can't access the help menu in start panel it comes up with hh caused invalid page fault in module itss.dll at 016.51287227 which means absolutley noting to me :)

unity
16-08-2002, 09:49 PM
hi what did you do to fix it .......? i can't access help as it causes a invalid page fault in module itss.dll ?????? and i am not a techie just a novice but i seem to be learning the hard way. There is no ryme nor reason for this stopping it hapens regualry but spasmodicaly if you know what i mean thanks for replying though
if you could remember what you did and explain it step by step or in novice lay language i would be very grateful

unity
16-08-2002, 09:55 PM
thanks supergran there were no tasks sheduled but i did go into power management and made everything never ......i guess i will have to wait and see now. i can't access help cos it comes up with hh invalid page faulit in module itss.dll ?????? thanks for that

Jen C
16-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Hi Unity

This link (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q196067) should address your HH invalid page fault when trying to use "help".

mikebartnz
16-08-2002, 11:06 PM
A stuffed motherboard will also make it behave like that.