PDA

View Full Version : Right Click Clog

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Im an avide collector of programs, and my right click in windows has became very cluttered with a whole lot of options to open with, virus scan with, add to zipa, etc.

Is there a way I can delete? or more hopefully, rename and rearrange my right click menu?

Chilling_Silence
15-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Try going to:
http://www.rescueman.cjb.net and downloading Super Rabbit, as an avid program collector, you'll love it!!

Chilling_Silence

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 07:47 PM
Downloading, installing, testing, getting back to you, if this helps, thanks, if not, it goes with my other 5 tweak programs.

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 08:04 PM
TweakUI and X-Setup both let you edit the shell command list and the New... list.

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Super Rabbit won't run on Windows XP.
Got a newer version?
I have both, neither of them can do what I want as of yet though.

Any other ideas?

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 08:11 PM
What am I looking for in X-setup?

Chilling_Silence
15-08-2002, 08:37 PM
www.superrsoft.com, Soz, I should have checked OS first, it won't work on NT Technology ( WinNT, 2K, and XP )

I've not tried the new version so get back to me about it.
X-Setup, Seen it, Tried it, Still don't like it. It's too big, and not very user friendly.

Chilling_Silence

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Nothing that is not bloated and works well is user friendly. You can't expect to be able to use any decent program effectively within 5 seconds of installing it.

The fact is with X-Setup is that you can download addons or modules to increase it's functionality.

Anyway, in X-Setup, go to Appearance -> Files&folders -> "New" context menu -> show/hide items

Leave a tick in what you want to keep.

Of course you could always hack the registry...

SiK

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Nope, sorry, thats the new menu, I mean the menu that new branches of from, just the normal right click menu, but, when you right click on a folder or file, and it comes up with, add to zip, scan with such and such etc

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Ah, you mean the shell context menu.

In that case yer best bet is to edit your registry.

In some cases the program itself may specifiy whether to include a shell context menu, in most cases uninstalling the program will remove the entry.

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 11:36 PM
I figure it must be in the registry somewhere, I have found traces of it, but nothing good enough to actually make much of it.

Graham Petrie
15-08-2002, 11:40 PM
If you want to edit the registry paths for your shell context menu, first backup you registry, and then remove the required items from the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shellex\ContextMenuHan dlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandle rs

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shellex\ContextMenuHandler s

As always, the usual registry editing disclaimer applies (At your own risk)

Good Luck - some of the values in the above keys may not be readily identifiable as the ones you want to remove, but remove the ones that are obvious, backup aqgain, and then try them one at a time. If you get the wrong one, simply restore your backup.

G P

Graham Petrie
15-08-2002, 11:41 PM
PS Ignore the space in Folders - that is a forum bug. Bruce, I thught that hey were going to be fixed??? Oh well.

G P

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 11:58 PM
cool, that worked, thought the mag could help, i just have to work out which is which now

jacobdouds
15-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Although, im still looking for a program that lets me reorganise etc.