PDA

View Full Version : Eudora email backup

bk T
15-08-2002, 02:00 PM
Hi

How do I back up my email in Eudora?

Step by step instructions will be appreciated.

Thanks

bk

godfather
15-08-2002, 02:07 PM
The eudora directory (usually C:\program files\qualcomm\eudora) will contain the "in.mbx" and "in.toc" plus "out" files similarly named.

I find that backing up the entire directory toa CD works, as to get it back you just copy it back. Or, in explorer just view the in.mbx file and double click on it and it will open in eudora, even off a CD.

Your attachments are in whatever directory you specified under "tools-options-attachments" in eudora.

Periodically I just archive the entire directory, its much easier. Plus I backup every day (entire directory) to a second hard drive.

bk T
15-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply

Cheers
bk

Capital
15-08-2002, 03:02 PM
I have a partitioned hard drive and store data separately from the Windows and other software so in the event of having to reinstall software (as I did last weekend) the data's still there.

Notwithstanding that arrangement you should have a backup, and the methods Godfather's outlined are straightforward.

bmason
15-08-2002, 06:14 PM
You don't need to backup the .toc files (although they don't take up much space), they are only used to make accessing the .mbx files faster, and get automatically regenerated.

The only thing to note is that you will need to delete any existing .toc files when you restore the .mbx files or your messages will have the wrong names in the lists (it doesn't cause any damage).