PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa Spyware help

Lohsing
14-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Hey guys... my little sister got onto my PC and being a pain in the butt she is, she kindly installed the full version of Kazaa onto my PC...

I've updated the reference file for Ad-Aware and checked and removed all components... I've uninstalled Kazaa before I did this, but now whenever I dial up to get onto the net, there's this little button on my taskbar which says "dialing" or "connected" or whatever... have tried pressing ctrl+alt+del to see if there was anything obvious, but nothing showing!

Anyone else know how to get rid of it??? I want to keep my comp as spyware free as possible... Is it possible that even with the latest reference files for Ad-Aware that this hasn't been detected yet???

Please help!!

Lo.

antmannz
14-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Ad-Aware should be able to remove Kazaa's spyware.
Ummm ... an question that may sound a bit obvious: are you sure the little taskbar button isn't your dialer ??

Lohsing
14-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Dude... I know what my dialer looks like! lol ... seriously, there was something NEXT to my dialer with another purple looking icon which was acting like my dialer...

Anyway, a quick reboot and the problem seems to have disappeared... thanks anyway!

NETDEVEL
19-09-2002, 04:00 PM
GET KAZAa LITE ! Its a hacked version with ALL spyware and banners removed, look on google 4 it.

NETDEVEL

Baldy
19-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Was thinking about Kazaa Lite myself, but heard it was a bit unstable and hard to get on, or even download from.

Anyone with Kazaa Lite that can comment?

BALDY:-)

Laurie
19-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Have only ever used kazaa lite version 1.71. Its awesome, downloads, good searches, plays nicely, will run in the background, depending on your isp & connection as to how long it takes to download. I'm sold on it.

dipstick01
19-09-2002, 06:16 PM
If you want the full Kazaa without the spyware then go here (http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz) and click on the P2P/Filesharing link. There is full instructions on installing Kazaa without spyware and the fake cydoor dll file to install so it all works fine.

That little icon could be a dialler program that some unscrupulous sites install to "view" their "educational" material. Check in your dial up networking/settings to make sure your internet connection isn't being rerouted at cost to you.

Greg S
19-09-2002, 06:21 PM
kazaalite.com - it works a treat here.

Graham Petrie
19-09-2002, 06:48 PM
I have used Kazaa Lite (most versions) with no problems on a windows ME machine, a Windows XP Hoem machine, and two XP Pro machines.

It performs fast searches, lots of results, good download times, and has a small footprint. The UI is uncluttered, and optionsare easy to set. Much better than the bloatware available for the gnutella network.

G P

tweak\'e
19-09-2002, 07:11 PM
sounds like you still have some crap in there. purple icon?? not bonzi buddy is it?

make sure you have the latest adaware as the early ones may not remove all the spyware.

Kiwitas
19-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi Baldy,

I have used all versions of KaZaa-Lite with no problems at all

I am on Dial-up/w98 and a couple of months ago I took 600 Mp3's

of the Hdd.

What's the old adage,117Million users can't be wrong!!:D

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Lohsing
20-09-2002, 01:27 PM
To everyone reading the thread, I've fixed the problem AGES ago... Thanks anyway!

Lo.

Phate
21-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Bloody hell, I hate bonzi buddy. If he were next with me, I'd hit him. By the way as far as file sharing goes, I don't like the P2P Programs all that much, I stick to mIRC, despite the risk of being hacked etc.