PDA

View Full Version : Off topic and not PC

Terry Porritt
14-08-2002, 05:01 PM
It has to be asked that if an electoral candidate cannot read and understand a simple "crystal clear" declaration form, whether that person should have been standing at all?

How many other MPs have this disability?

Graham L
14-08-2002, 05:04 PM
How many MPs have any abilities ?

vanman
14-08-2002, 05:10 PM
The basic criteria for selecting suitable candidates to run for government should be that if you want to run you aren't allowed to!! ;)

Not being able to fill out simple forms correctly could be either a good or a bad thing. All depends doesnt it?

Andyvanman

Elwin Way
14-08-2002, 08:54 PM
If that's your only whinge, then you should be grateful.

What I'd like to know, is how many politians are NOT ex prozzies or drunk drivers or bent or lie to get in or known criminals or are not used car salesman????

We have these people running our country!

dipstick01
15-08-2002, 01:46 AM
As the ads on TV said 1 in 5 people have some sort of mwental disorder, 1 in 25 are bordering on a medium level mental disorder......how many politicians do we have??

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 01:56 AM
Simply put, they all suck and none of them should be in parliament. That's why we had a record low vote turnout - 75% of all registered voters did.

I wasn't one of the 75%...

parry
15-08-2002, 06:52 AM
Stupid mistake all round alright and a sad reflection on the education system not being able to teach people to read. And the candidate for the silly party is ....

Quite a few parliamentarians so thats quite a few with mental illness. Of course, these people would be in the high-risk group so the odds would be closer to 1:1 ;-)

Baldy
15-08-2002, 08:26 AM
BIG DEAL - Who cares!

This has been virtually the first item on 2 television 6pm news for 3 night, the Holmes show blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! One United mp goes out, another comes in. The world hasn't stopped you know. I've has a gutsful of it

This is a very insignificant thing in the context of life. Why do we get so wound up about mindless politicians...... in other countries they have more important agenda to worry about.

Me, I am more worried that I can afford to turn the heater on, or that I have enough money to treat (yes treat ) myself to some nice half decent at the supermarket

robo
15-08-2002, 08:35 AM
I have this theory:

The politicians are irrelevant. The Ministry staff do their job regardless, know what they are doing (I hope) and they just get it done. The politicos take the heat, make the noise, etc, while the real work gets done out of the spotlight.

Basically, we are paying for 120 people to convince themselves they are important.

robo.

Terry Porritt
15-08-2002, 09:13 AM
Well, Baldy, for one I do really care. It was Ruth Richardson who unilaterally renaged on my GSF pension contract with the government, by cutting the payout in two ways, the overall payout calculation by %6, and taxing at source at %33. Then said the pension was "tax-free". Then of course that party blathered on about cutting taxes, but they didnt reduce our effective tax rate down from %33.

Politicians do this sort of thing, and then walk away from what they've done without a care, or admit they mucked up.

Upton wrecked science career structure in NZ when he disbanded DSIR.

Bradford wrecked electricity, but managed to ensure proliferation of CEOs, boards, managers of companies all pulling grotesque salaries and making profits out of the consumer.

Yet once I was a member of the National Party, strange isnt it?

Tom B.
15-08-2002, 09:59 AM
As usual everyone complains about Polititians but that is all they do.

If you really do care then do something about it - change it! To do that you must stand for election yourself, and work for change within the system. All you have to do is convince the majority that you are right, and it is done. What could be easier? As for the quality of politicians, if you think you are better,then prove it by becoming a candidate next time around.

If you wish to criticise, make sure you have a viable alternative to offer before opening your mouth.

Baldy
15-08-2002, 10:22 AM
Fair enough Terry,

I care about the important things in politics..... not some pack of minnows, such as United who romped into parliament solely because of statements Peter Dunn uttered on the Holmes debate. The worm turned in his favour, and the gullible sucked it up, hook line and sinker.

You tell me when the Pollies took any notice of what the average NZ thought or even wanted. How many NZers signed a petition for tougher sentencing - and what did the Pollies do. Squaddly Dit. Or what about the uproar over Max's power reforms...... where was the compassion then?

I have given up beating myself up, worrying about what is going on in Wellington. Nothing I say or do will make any difference.

As I said, I worry about being able to buy enough food to get me through the week.

BALDY

Terry Porritt
15-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Ok Tom, we are all different and all have different views. A lot of the time we can stand back & not get too worked up about things because we are not directly affected, when we are however, is when one gets a bit hot under the collar.

What you suggest is not really practical, god help us if we all became politicians :)

I did do my bit once in trying to change the world by being on a local council in Dorset, UK.
We levied a 4 pence rate added onto the District and County Council rates, so you can see how much power we wielded :)

It is really important that people make their views known (to government or local councils) in a democracy, even if they cant think of a viable alternative. Viable alternatives is what we elect capable politicians to devise for us lesser mortals.
However we have to reserve the right to complain or disagree.

Ferroshus
15-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Anyone who seeks political power should automatically be barred from doing so , and anyway Robo's right, all the work and most of the decisions are made by career government workers of whom you never see

mark c
15-08-2002, 01:22 PM
It bugs me me when people slag off democracy and politicians. Demoracy isn't perfect OK but how would like the alternatives? Binning all politicians as the same is foolish, you think voting for one or the other doesn't make any difference, try living under despotism where you don't get any choice.

In my view democracy is a very fragile thing, we only have it because thousands of people before us fought (and died) so we ordinary people could have a say and get some rights.

Check out Germany in the 30s, where people got fed up with the wavering Weimar, and looked towards strong (less democratic) govt, and see what happened next.

If you're critical of the way things are run get off yr butt and put in your contribution while you still enjoy the right to.

Baldy
15-08-2002, 01:33 PM
> As usual everyone complains about Polititians but
> that is all they do.

SO !!!!!!

> If you really do care then do something about it -
> change it! To do that you must stand for election
> yourself, and work for change within the system. All
> you have to do is convince the majority that you are
> right, and it is done. What could be easier? As for
> the quality of politicians, if you think you are
> better,then prove it by becoming a candidate next
> time around.

> If you wish to criticise, make sure you have a viable
> alternative to offer before opening your mouth.

Since when has it been a crime in this country to have an opinion. I don't give a rats backside if you agree with me or not Tom B. I am just pleased that I live in a country like NZ where I am able to criticise. Or do you think its preferable that we become like Indonesia/China where they lock you up and throw away the key?

If more people in this country spoke up, things might change. Look at the uproar in Australia, when they were going to introduce GST. NZers said squaddly dit ( like the sheep in the paddocks ) and we are lumbered
with a shocking tax that we were conned into

BALDY

p/s: I will say no more on this subject - its supposed to be for computer problems LOL

godfather
15-08-2002, 02:17 PM
> If more people in this country spoke up, things might
> change. Look at the uproar in Australia, when they
> were going to introduce GST. NZers said squaddly dit
> ( like the sheep in the paddocks ) and we are
> lumbered
> with a shocking tax that we were conned into

I agree with you Baldy, we must always be free to criticise, thats our right of free speech.

Re GST, the outcome was better for us in some ways, as in Australia now if you buy a chicken at the deli, the temperature of the chook determines if it attracts GST or not! Its a nightmare, at least we got it slightly better (apart from the %)
So even though they complained they still got it.

Biggles
15-08-2002, 04:26 PM
>Re GST, the outcome was better for us in some ways, as in Australia
>now if you buy a chicken at the deli, the temperature of the chook
>determines if it attracts GST or not! Its a nightmare, at least we got it
>slightly better (apart from the %)
>So even though they complained they still got it.

I think the important thing to realise is that while the sem-automatic M1 Garand gave the US infantry platoon significantly more fire-power at the individual soldier level than a corresponding Wehrmacht infantry platoon - where the bolt-action Mauser 98 was still the most common weapon -the German's had, in the MG42, by far the best infantry-support machine gun on the field of battle. It was used in such numbers by the Germans that it effectively negated any advantage the US troops gained from carrying the Garand. The MG42 lived on far past the end of World War 2, with it's ancestory being clearly seen in the US Army's own M60 and in the German Bundeswehr's MG3. The US Browning 0.30 light machine gun just could not compete in terms of firepower and flexibility.

Damn these mushrooms are tasty.

godfather
15-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Ich denke die wichtige Sache verwirkliche bin der, während das sem-automatische M1 Garand den US Infanterie Platoon deutlich mehr Fire-power auf dem einzelnen Soldatniveau gab, als hatte ein entsprechender Wehrmacht Infanterie Platoon - wo die Schraubbolzen-Tätigkeit Mauser 98 noch die allgemeinste Waffe war - des Deutschen, im MG42, das bei weitem bestes Infanterie-stützen Maschine Gewehr auf dem Feld der Schlacht. Es wurde in solchen Zahlen von den Deutschen verwendet, daß es effektiv jeden möglichen Vorteil verneinte, den die US Truppen vom Tragen des Garand gewannen. Das MG42 lebte an weite Vergangenheit das Ende von Weltkrieg 2, mit ihm ist- ancestory offenbar sehend in eigenes M60 der US Armee und in das deutschen MG3 des Bundeswehrs. Die US, die 0,30 leichten Maschineninjektor konnten brünieren nicht in Firepower und Flexibilität ausgedrückt gerade, konkurrieren.

mmmmm ... musshhrroommss

Biggles
15-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Don't you love FreeTranslation.com. This is how it re-translates your translation:

I think would realize am the important matter that while the sem gave-automatic M1 Garand infantry Platoon clearly more Fire-power on the single soldier level to the US, than had an infantry Platoon corresponding armed forces - where the screw bolt-activity of mice 98 yet the most general weapon was - the German, in the MG42, the by far best infantry-support machine weapon on the field of the battle. It was used in such numbers by the German that it denied effectively each possible advantage, that the US troops of the carrying of the Garand won. The MG42 lived at far past the end of world wars 2, with it ist- ancestory obviously seeing into characteristic M60 of the US army and into the German MG3 of the Federal Armed Forces. The US, the 0,30 easy Maschineninjektor could not expressed brünieren in Firepower and flexibility just, compete.

It would be fun to start with some Shakespeare, run itnthrough Freetranslation multiple times back and forth between English and other languages, and see what you ended up with .....

robo
15-08-2002, 05:10 PM
You're a sad, sad, man, Buck Man.
Would one of my articles translated a few times still be boring?

godfather
15-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Actually I think your translation makes more sense than the original...

And to think a poster a while ago wanted a translator for word documents from japanese to english...imagine the output.

"how are you going to do that?"
"ogenki desu ka......"

Biggles
15-08-2002, 05:16 PM
> You're a sad, sad, man, Buck Man.
> Would one of my articles translated a few times still
> be boring?

Actually, I think it would probably create a close facsimile of the pre-sub edited original.... :-)

robo
15-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Chinese product names that may be victim of backwards and forwards translation via Croatian, German, and Klingon:

Glorious Happines (paintbrushes at $2 shop)

Big and Hairy (barbers in Singapore)

etc.
robo.
(aargh! got my own name wrong, who needs translators?)

[Edited by: admin on Aug 15, 2002 4:19 PM]

Scott Bartley
15-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Bruce you made more sense after you'd been translated a couple of times.

robo
15-08-2002, 05:35 PM
Ouch!
Thanks, man,
robo.
(self-confidence in tatters)

Biggles
15-08-2002, 05:37 PM
Oooh this is fun:

PressF1 goes Spanish (http://fets3.freetranslation.com:5081/?Language=English%2FSpanish&Url=www.pressf1.co.nz&Sequence=core)

Graham L
15-08-2002, 05:41 PM
I thought we could manage gibberish without artificial aids. Just like parliament.

(Hey -- I managed to make another posting relevant to the thread -- as if that mattered ...).

Terry Porritt
15-08-2002, 05:47 PM
I've had this vision of all you PC World guys working in the same office, desks next or opposite to each other, all furiously posting F1 messages to yourselves.
Or is your setup like Dilberts with your own cubicles ? :)

Graham L
15-08-2002, 05:50 PM
I've just reread "Dilbert's Future". It reads like the textbook for our famous "economic reforms". Unfortunately, Scott Adams intended it to be funny . (It is, but ... not when the ideas put into action).

robo
15-08-2002, 05:51 PM
They are all in their own sad little virtual world, Terry. Reality matters not as they rarely visit it.
robo.

Scott Bartley
15-08-2002, 05:59 PM
The working environment here at IDG is semi-Dilbertian.

But we are seperated into two floors...which is a shame...it's be so much easier to abuse the web team in person rather than banging away at a keyboard.

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 08:36 PM
This is good:

The welcome, the Host. In order to announce a message, please login. If you do not have an account, the chasquido one to register here. Leave a message about his hardware, about the problem of software or Internet, and about our waiter automatically it will send electronic mail to it when one of our advisors, or another reader, answers its question SEARCH PRESSF1 Busque file PressF1 the post the VICTORY APPRECIATES Responds to another question of the reader and is in gaining one of two games: the Force of Delta: Dagger of Force of Tarea or Lilo and the Problem of the Puntada in the Paradise. 69846 messages in 23402

SiK

-=JM=-
15-08-2002, 10:55 PM
> I've had this vision of all you PC World guys working
> in the same office, desks next or opposite to each
> other, all furiously posting F1 messages to
> yourselves.
> Or is your setup like Dilberts with your own cubicles
> ? :)

I think it's just that the security is so pathetic there that they might as well send their notes to each other here because everybody is going to read the emails sent anyway :p

and by the way Terry, have you been doing a lot of programming recently or something. Because most of your percentage % signs have been placed before the number ;)

Terry Porritt
16-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Hello JM, I realised the percentage signs were wrong way round, I've been very fuddled and frustrated the last few weeks suffering from ME, high temps, and not being able to walk (violins playing in background :) )
Maybe also why I may have appeared testy at times, if so I appologise to all.
Good news is latest medication is working wonders.

blondie
16-08-2002, 09:59 AM
What is ME? It sounds like my mum's menopause symptoms.

Terry Porritt
16-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, not related to Windows ME.

A persistent flu type condition with painful muscles, swollen glands etc, made worse by extreme frustration at not being able to get out into the bush! (More violins :) )

Perhaps you are confusing hot flushes with elevated temperature Blondie, I went through my male menopause years ago :)