PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream connection problem with RTA210

NotSoHandyAndy
14-08-2002, 04:03 PM
I'm trying to help a friend out with a problem she's been having with her Jetstream connection. I'm not too experienced with configuring routers so please excuse any ignorant comments I may make. She has a Win Me PC connected to a RTA210 Dynalink Router.

It was working fine for a month but in the past couple of weeks has become more and more unreliable. She can see when its off line as the DSL light on the router gos off. Sometimes when it is offline it will come back temporarily if the router is switched off and on. Several times after switching the router off then on the DSL light came on (and the internet worked) for 95 seconds exactly, then it dropped out again. Info from the Web browser control panel is as follows:

Line Attentuation 29 dB
Noise Margin 14dB
DS Speed 7616 Kbps
US Speed 736 Kbps

I noticed also that it had 10 CRC errors in about 12 minutes then dropped out shortly afterwards. I have tried reseting the router to the factory defaults and reconfiguring but it was still doing the same thing. I have had the Router checked out by Dynalink and it check out fine. Xtra claim that the service has been up the whole time and the fault is with the computer. Any suggestions?

Crunn
14-08-2002, 07:54 PM
That would tend to only leave the phone line, router power supply or Murphy (poor lad gets blamed for everything !) My RT210 has never logged any CRC errors and I am a fair way out in the country with electric fences, etc., everywhere. Is there any high frequency device near the router ? Is the cabling to the PC intact, proper quality. Is the jack point OK or has it got some tooth-ache ? Does anyone else have a DSL connection that it can be hooked up to to verify that the router is indeed, i.e. the substitution method of testing OK ?

NotSoHandyAndy
14-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your reply Crunn. I have been in contact with Dynalink this afternoon and it seems that it shouldn't have been sent back to me as they plan to change a capacitor. So its back on the courier. I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Crunn
14-08-2002, 09:37 PM
That's good news. I hate it when you're told something is OK yet it wont work !!

Crunn

Phil32
15-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Had exactly the same problem with the RTA210 about 6 weeks ago. I was told by Dynalink that they had never heard of the problem before and, after reinstalling the firmware, the problem went away for 3 weeks. Second time they forward replaced the modem before I sent the original one back for testing. This was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard whether it was faulty or not. The new one is still working fine, but then so did the original for about 2 months, so I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Having had the router break and heard nothing from Dynalink to tell me what the problem was, I'm very cautious about recommending the RTA210 to friends. What experiences have others had?

antmannz
15-08-2002, 05:54 PM
I've heard bad things about Dynalink DSL modems too - basically the likes of what happened posters here. Was enough to put me off buying one. Got an ASUS 6000EV (or something like that), it gets hammered and gives no probs. :)