PDA

View Full Version : ?hardware profiles

ahoundau
14-08-2002, 03:28 PM
i would like to configure my laptop so that i can boot it normally or into a profile that has the minium accessory software and hardware running to allow the use of a spercific memory hungry piece of voice software, without having to close down all the "not required " bits and pieces manually everytime i want to use the particular thing.

i recently stumbled upon - the ability to configure more than one set of "hardware profiles" in the laptop, can some body tell me if this will achieve the aim

cheers will

tweak\'e
14-08-2002, 04:09 PM
it would be helpfull if you actually say what your laptop specs are, what the OS (operating system) is, and what is the "spercific memory hungry piece of voice software' you mention.

i doubt that crearing different hardware profiles will help at all.

creating a user account might be the way to go.

or an endall type program to close all other apps down with click of the mouse might help.

ahoundau
14-08-2002, 09:02 PM
whoops it certaninly would be helpful to put all that info in - win98se on a toshiba satelite with 64 ram and 500 speed. using dragon naturally speaking, which works ok currently but works better with out other stuff going on.

i currently use enditall - very effective, but i thought there may be an easier way "lol".

i did try creating a user profile but much to my dismay found that that didnt change what was loaded at boot, but only the desktop veiw - any changes in start up affected all profiles

cheers will

mikebartnz
15-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Having hardware profiles could make a slight difference but with the windows user profiles you have to set it so that every user has there own start menu. I can't remember whether that is done in the Control Panel/ Network or password

SoniKalien
15-08-2002, 03:49 PM
You could do it by creating batch files and a menu at boot time, but you need to know DOS commands etc and have 2 separate win.ini files like full.boot and mini.boot and have the menu copy and rename to win.ini before win.com gets called.