PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 BUGs

NathanTheKind
14-08-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi

Can someone please tell me how many bugs Windows 95 had When it was first released.

Thanks

:)

|llus|oN
14-08-2002, 10:14 AM

;)

Elwin Way
14-08-2002, 10:41 AM
It depends on whether youa retalking about the OS as a kernel, or are including the shell, or IE which came with it.

The correct answer would be: Lots.

So many that they released 3 service packs for it.

By the time the third pack was released, everyone was getting a bit fed up and decided to "live with it".

BTW service packs 1 & 2 introduced a few more bugs, so I don't think it's really a countable thing....

Poppa John
14-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Does that mean that Windows XP is not so bad after all? Poppa John

NathanTheKind
14-08-2002, 10:48 AM
The bugs I want to know about are for the first version, before any service packs, and including IE, Kernel and shell

Graham L
14-08-2002, 03:43 PM
How many? Think of a number. They haven't all been found yet. One of the better bugs which has been corrected, even though it was a very difficult to trigger it. That's the one which crashes W95 if it is left to run for 47.6 hours. Have you ever had it running that long without crashing?

Terry Porritt
14-08-2002, 04:41 PM
Well NTK, this is what my book of words says (in abbreviated form) for what service pack 1 fixes were for win95A.
1. OLE32 update, fixed problem with deleted text.

2.Windows 95 shell update, fixes for Netware Directory Services, and fixes forproblems copying files on Netware servers that created zero byte files.

3. Windows 95 common dialog update For Win 3.1 legacy printer drivers.

4.File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks update, before this update some users could get unauthorized access to your hard disks.

5.File and Printer sharing for Netware Networks update, as (4), unauthorized access to hard drives for NetWare Networks.

6.Windows 95 password list update, update to add greater encryption to password file. However this update was buggy and the fix corrupted the password file. The update was patched.

7.System Agent update, fixed a problem with incorrect date/time calculation.

8.Printer port (lpt.vxd) update, corrected for the wrong lpt.vxd, and included support for ECP ports.

Reference: Windows 95 Secrets, edition 4, Brian Livingston & Davis Straub. IDG books, 1997.

HTH.

NathanTheKind
16-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Hey Thanks all your help was appreciated. I have now completed the assignment. Just waiting on the results.

:)