PDA

View Full Version : WIN98 Continuous Updating

RiffRaff
14-08-2002, 09:11 AM
Every time I boot my PC I get the message that Windows is updating something as if I have just installed some new software. - which I haven't.

How can I track down why it keeps doing this?

Iris
14-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Have you checked you Task Scheduler settings. Had the same thing happen to me when I first had computer installed and when I checked, the Task Scheduler was set to check at startup. Changed it to check once a week.

Iris

Elwin Way
14-08-2002, 10:18 AM
You mean the:

"Please wait while windows updates your configuration files..."

message? I'm getting that too, except my laptop will hang after that. A warm boot fixes it. Only happens on cold boots.

I'm currently investigating this and I'll get back to you.

RiffRaff
15-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Yes - thats the message. Happens, as you say, at every cold start but doen't hang.

Cheers

antmannz
15-08-2002, 11:59 AM
It may have something to do with the registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce and/or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce not deleting their values. These keys are usually used to install new system files that cannot be overwritten during software installation.
You should only have a "(Default)" value with no data for these keys. Delete any others and see if it happens again - of course, the "back up your registry before tinkering" applies.

kiwibeat
16-08-2002, 01:27 AM
Its possibly time to check your msconfig start up properties and untick anything not essential including automatic update programs Messenger has one inbuilt called Load QM
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

good site to check out what does what

RiffRaff
16-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. Progress so far:

1. Checked task scheduler - all looks OK.
2. Have had LoadQM stopped for some time now.
3. Ran Poledit - RunOnce is empty but I'll check that it has a nul default.

I thought I might set up a small .BAT file with a pause in it, set RunOnce to pick it up, then see what happens if I then remove it.

Cheers

kiwibeat
16-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Install Zone alarm that may help you see what is happening

RiffRaff
17-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. With the tips you provided and a rather lengthy hunt through the Microsoft Knowledge base I found Q221863 which pointed me to:

WININIT.EXE and WININIT.INI

It turned out that an MSTS route I had installed left the INI file behind. This prompted WININIT to run at startup. I re-named the INI file and the problem went away.

The files are in C:\WINDOWS

Cheers.