PDA

View Full Version : Modem stopped working

Gooffy
13-08-2002, 10:54 PM
I have recently exchanged CD-Rom drives in my computer and since then the Dynalink 56K modem, which is configured as "Plug and Play", will not connect. I get the message "No dial tone or modem not connected" etc.

When I when I try the diagnostics in Control Panel/Modems I get "Cannot open Port".

I have removed the modem, disconnected the CD drive and rebooted and re-installed the modem and it works, However when the CD drive is reconnected the same problem happens with the modem. But not immediately, it may be several boot-ups before it stops again.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening?

NathanTheKind
13-08-2002, 11:40 PM
You may have a IRQ conflict. right click my computer, and go down to properties, then click Device manager(win 9x). or right click my computer and click on manage, then Device Manager (XP).

if there is an exclamation mark next to either the modem or the CD-ROM double click one of them double click it and click on Resources make sure that automaticly detect resources is not ticked, double click on any resource that is showing an error, and then scroll through the list of avalible resources until one is selected that doesn't have a conflict. Do this with all conflicting resources and devices.

I hope this helps

:)

Gooffy
14-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your help.

I checked device mgr but it shows no conflicts. The CD drive shows as Atapi 44 spd the modem is on com 3 IRQ4.

It is detected first try through diagnostics but when I tried dialling got a message "Can't detect modem etc".

When I try to detect the modem through diagnostics again the I get "Port already open" message

Jim B
14-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE on your keyboard to open the "Close Program" dialog box.
Click "RNAAPP" to select it, and then click "End Task".
You may have to repeat these steps three or four times to get rid of RNAAPP. You should eventually get an "End Task" window prompting you to end the RNAAPP task, select "End task" on this window, and then try reconnecting.

NathanTheKind
16-08-2002, 06:10 PM
I have had that problem happen also. Restarting the computer usually fixed that one. ?:|

Gooffy
30-08-2002, 06:33 PM
The problem is over now. I Managed to freeze Windows to the point where I had to get Tech assistance and got the modem checked while there and as a result have a new one which works perfectly.

Thanks for the help it was much appreciated.