PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my Voodoo 3 Graphics Card

taxboy4
13-08-2002, 08:07 PM
HELP. I have a 2 1/2 year old PC - running 384M of Ram, at 550 Mhz - everything works ok except my old Voodoo 3 PCI 16MB graphics card is not supported by any of the new games.

Am I able to upgrade to the one of the GeForce cards to improve performance? Will I be able to slot it in where my old Voodoo card sat or do I have a wrong type of "socket".

Any suggestions most gratefully appreciated.

robsonde
13-08-2002, 08:23 PM
You can get G-force PCI cards but thay can be hard to find.

most new graphics cards are AGP slot. (which wont fix PCI slot)

the main thing a moden game wants is OpenGL.
the Voo-Doo cards offers GLIDE which was a cool thing in 1997 :-)

taxboy4
13-08-2002, 08:39 PM
Yah i Know what you mean. How can I tell if I have any AGP slots?

godfather
13-08-2002, 08:44 PM
AGP slot if fitted will be found beside PCI slot 1 (towards the middle of the motherboard) and is a dark coloured (red or brown?) socket set back a bit behind the white PCI socket line.

Its doubtful (but not impossible) that you would have a PCI card fitted if an AGP slot was available.

As you can see from the above you need to open up the case to see

robsonde
13-08-2002, 08:48 PM
the PCI slots are usaly white slots and you have 3-6 of them.

AGP slot looks much the same but is a brown colour and is the slot nearest the CPU it is about the same length as a PCI slot but is set a little but further the the edge of the motherboard. you only ever have one AGP slot.

if in you dont want to open you box then look in the motherboard hand book or post the board make/model and we can look it up for you.

taxboy4
13-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Appreciate the Help.

From all I can tell my mother board is?

Packard Bell
Geniune Intel
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1

The sticker that came with it said the original graphics card was a

"Intel 3D Graphics with Direct AGP (4MB Shared)" and i got a voodoo put it.

robsonde
13-08-2002, 09:21 PM
Ok...

so what you have is a system with a built in AGP card and no AGP slot.

the onboard graphics card is almost always underpowered for games work.

your options are to get a PCI card (will never be that good)

or a new system box (mother board, CPU, ram, Graphics card, sound card.....)

I think you current system is comming to the end of its life as a games box.

sorry

godfather
13-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Robsonde, if you read the post he HAS a PCI card now, he wants an AGP.

You have to ask however, why a PCI card was fitted in the first place if they could have fitted an AGP. Points to no AGP slot, but you cannot easily find out unless you give us the Model number of the computer.

Packard Bell is the manufacturer, but they likely made many different variations with a 550 Mhz Intel chip.

Is it PIII chip, Celeron chip?
Has the PC a model number on it?

robsonde
13-08-2002, 09:42 PM
sorry if my last post was unclear.

you wont have an AGP slot based on your info of :

"Intel 3D Graphics with Direct AGP (4MB Shared)" and i got a voodoo put it.

this is a marketing line for a onboard graphics card which has an AGP style system in the motherboard but no AGP slot. packard bell made many systems like this.

often the sales people will upgrade it by putting in a PCI graphics card.

I ageree with godfather about "why a PCI card was fitted in the first place if they could have fitted an AGP. Points to no AGP slot"

-=JM=-
13-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Some boards with onboard video to actually have AGP slots.

robsonde
13-08-2002, 10:16 PM
this is true but as has was pointed out by godfather

"if he had an AGP slot why did thay give him a PCI card"

taxboy4
13-08-2002, 10:54 PM
Guys Thanks for all your help. Once I discovered Voodoo.com was Kaput I began to realise I had made a bad decision with my choice of PC. However the PC works well with internet (have cable modem), word, excel etc and I had a look at the Dick Smith Site and they have a PCI 3D Graphics Card that incorporates GE-Force MX200-256 Bit GPU for $154 (including GST) - states this card is for losers with low end machines!!

I put in my own ram so I assume I can struggle through and install this card to extend the life of my PC for another six months. My PC is a Pentium III.

robsonde
13-08-2002, 11:10 PM
that sounds like a good price.

it wont be much better graphics than you voo-doo but it will do OpenGL which is what your games are looking for.

installing is easy.

1 . best to remove the old card form windows device manager then shutdown

2. remove the current video card and plug in the new one.

3. power up and give windows the new driver CD.

dont force anything and and take all the usaly steps about unpluging a 240 volt device before removing the lid. static strap at all times. read the book twice before you start :-)

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 03:29 AM
The Mx 200 is a slow card that will not be much better than the voodoo 3 I would sell tyhe whole PC and uprade if i were you its no good having a weakness in any part of you system and the upgrades are not worth while when you can buy a new box so cheap these days with a 1 gigahertz cpu in it I recommend a AMD upgrade myself for value and intel if money isnt a worry .

http://www.tastech.co.nz/
http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/
offer a good price on their systems

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 03:34 AM
I am in WGTN myself if you need any more advice or help I have a P2 400 with a voodoo 3 in it as well,it goes ok and is fine for most older type games may have a buyer if you want to sell your sytsem
tennisplayer43 at hotmail dot com