PDA

View Full Version : Bad sound from my laptop?

vanman
13-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Hi there

I have got a Toshiba Stallite Pro 4300, and I listen to CD's using Winamp.

My computer also has a bunch of sound stuff on it that is called Yamaha DS-XG (not even sure what this does)

The problem is that I used to get reasonably good sound when I played a CD. (as good as laptop speakers or small headphones get!) Now when I play music, it is really bassy and distorted, independant of volume, and whether I use the speakers or headphones. (this makes me think it is output related)

I tried fiddling with the sounds control panel that sets what you are using to output the sound, but this made no change.

I also tried playing with the equaliser in Winamp, but this seems to have no effect on the the sound output at all!! Switching it on, off, or onto auto, and playing with the levels doesnt change anything.

I really not sure what else to try.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Vanman

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2002, 03:44 PM
sounds interesting, try setting the winamp EQ to "preset - Treble" and see what that does, otherwise, double click on the little speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen to bring up the volume control window.
Sometimes in Options - Advanced Controls, you can increse the treble and bass amounts coming out of your speakers.
Try reducing the Bass slider to the left!

Hope this helps
Chilling_Silence

Davonz
13-08-2002, 03:48 PM
First of all try using the windows CD player, if you still have the same problem you know its not winamp.
Next try and find the latest version of the driver for the sound card in the laptop and install it.
If this doesn't fix it maybe it is a hardware problem...

vanman
13-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Thanks

I got it sorted. Seems that the Yamaha DS - XG is a sound card, finally managed to track down new drivers for it.

If anyone elses needs drivers for sound stuff, there is a big range at:

http://usa.asus.com/download/mbdriver/mb-audio.htm

Thanks Again

vanman