PDA

View Full Version : printing or conversion of .dat files

benny
13-08-2002, 02:07 PM
I have received a large number of pictures from europe which were sent to me as .DAT files which I would like to get printed. However I cannot
find anyone who can do this.
A. Can anyone supply the name of a photographic printing firm to do this.
or
B. Tell me where I can get a program (preferably free as I will probably only need it once) that can convert the pictures to JPEG.
or
C. Advise if there is another solution to my problem.

Your help would be really appreciated..
Many Thanks...Benny

godfather
13-08-2002, 02:23 PM
You really need to find out what program created the DAT files, as this extension is used by many applications (non of which are image applications to my knowledge)

DAT files are system files in most cases.

Its a long shot, but try opening one with wordpad, and scroll through what will likely be pages of gibberish. At the beginning there is often a reference to the creation program. DO NOT SAVE THE FILE when closing.

Crunn
13-08-2002, 02:25 PM
That's an interesting one. Are they really image files ? Can't recall an image file with the extension .dat. Are they from digital cameras ? Sometimes they have their own file format. Should this be the case a visit to the camera web site should produce a viewing programme. How about contacting the sender and asking them to tell you the format ?

godfather
13-08-2002, 02:44 PM
Also advise what sort of file size these have, in case they have sent you the wrong files, the size is a pointer to that.

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2002, 04:34 PM
I agree, as *.dat files are usually setting files for programs. try going "Open" and then select notepad (Don't forget to UNCHECK the "always use.." tickbox) and If you can read it, your friend has sent the wrong files.

Chilling_Silence

Mike-Y
13-08-2002, 09:55 PM
The ".DAT" extension is often used to indicate a file containing arbitrary "data." Some applications that have a format of their own choosing simply use .DAT. This means that as a user, you must have your own way to figure out how to open the file. There is no single way to open or view a .DAT file since there can many different types of content. The best way is to ask whoever gave you the file what application should be used to open it.

Heather P
13-08-2002, 10:13 PM
How computer competent was the person who sent you the files? I have elderly relatives who have managed to send all sorts of things to my parents (who then pass them on to me requesting help).

Things we have received:

- SHORTCUTS to files (this one says open file x on THEIR hard drive. Useful)

- Program specific files (for some obscure program that no-one's heard of)

- Large files (pictures that would fill my screen 4 times over and are too big to print. I then reduce them and forward them back to my parents)

- Corrupted files (absolutely no idea how they do this. Seems to occur with the extra large files)

- The odd .dat file (solution - write back and request a more useful format - like .jpg)

Bryan D
13-08-2002, 10:48 PM
I once got sent some graphics as .dat files. The sender thought that we may block jpg's but that dat's would go through. I renamed them as jpg's and opened them. (Sort of like renaming an .exe to go through a filter. Not that I do it ..... often.)

Why not try it and see if it works. Wouldn't do any harm.

Graham L
14-08-2002, 05:15 PM
If you know someone who has Linux, give them one of the files and ask them to use the "file" command on it. There is a file called "magic" which enables the programme to identify just about any file.

Peter Cox
15-08-2002, 12:36 AM
I the .dat files you are talking about are called winmail.dat then it is likely the sender is using MS Oulook and sending in Rich Text Format which you email progrom does not recognise. Get the sender to resend in plain text format, he can still use MS Outlook and there should be no problem.
This site tells more about it,
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2000/Olmsgfrmtprobs.aspx

HTH pc