PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me?

spork
13-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Hello, I have a little question. There's a file on my computer that I can't delete, every time I try to it just says the filename is too long. It is very long, and it says that I should rename it. Every time I attempt this it tells me that the filename is invalid or too long... does anyone know how I could fix this?

Capt Jimbo
13-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Whats your operating system?
What's the file name?
You may need to reboot to dos and delete it from there

Graham L
13-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Hold the shift key down and drag the file to the Recycle Bin. This might work. ;-)

spork
13-08-2002, 12:33 PM
I'm running windows 98. I'm not sure of the filename because whenever I go to the folder it is supposedly in it is not there, I looked on the little bar at the bottom where it says how many files there are, it said the number and then 1 hidden, so I guess that's it. Let's just say that it is a bad idea to let your younger cousin download 'songs' onto your computer to keep them busy while babysitting....it's an .mpeg file. the file doesn't work at all whatever you do to it, and i'm absolutely clueless about this sort of thing.

MarkB
13-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Several things what is the filename have you tried running virus scan lately.

How long has it been happening ie since you downloaded something or did it come with email.

Also what os are you using.

Brent P
13-08-2002, 01:05 PM
If it is a problem with the filename, run scandisk. If that doesn't sort it out then I'd be thinking virus.

dipstick01
13-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Where did the file download to??........If it was downloaded with KaZaA then you can go to the kazaa folder and delete the entire shared folder and then replace it with a new folder which will be empty. I have had this problem with kazaa files before and that is what I have done if renaming wont work. Once you have emptied oyur "shared" folder of the stuff you want to keep...this includes downloads not yet completed.... just right click on the folder and select properties. Under the shortcut tab click on the Find Target button and you are in kazaa. Now delete the folder and then right click with your maouse and create a new folder, Nmae this folder My Shared Folder in the same way the original folder was and you are all done.
One of the new tricks the music industry is using to stop people downloading copyrighted music is to "share" bad files etc and a there is also a lot of viruses and just generally bad files on any P2P network. Make sure your Anti Virus is up to date and always check files out before downloading. With Kazaa you can also preview files downloading by right clicking on the file, this only plays back what you have downloaded so far though.

spork
13-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks very much, I'll try some of that stuff.

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Firstly, click View - Folder Options
Select the View Tab
Change the radio box to "Show All File Types"
now, you should be able to see the file.
Also, you might want to re-start in MS-DOS mode.
Change into the directory it was in using:

CD "DIRNAME"

Only don't use the speach marks
don't forget the in Dos, if the directory is more than 8 characters long, it'll be the first 6 chanracters followed by:

~1

If it's something like:

MY Documents

It's be:

CD Mydocu~1

find the file and type:

Del filename

This should delete the file

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Maybe this should be a FAQ, I've seen this a couple of times before

kiwibeat
13-08-2002, 06:53 PM
I use ACDSee a excellent graphics viewer program which allows me to rename such long filenames then i can delete them

superOman
13-08-2002, 10:40 PM
I had this sort of problem in windows 3.11. Once. Was making a directory in DOS (md blah blah), and didnt quite type it right. Forever had a directory named md something. Couldnt get rid of it coz it said it didnt exist. Eventually sold the computer when it was old so it was their problem.

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 01:58 AM
Once you get your PC runnibg well I recommend you put goback on it
http://www.gracecomputers.co.nz/reviews.htm

Its saved my Pc about 30x in the last 3 months from all my experiments with new software etc tennisplaer43 at hotmail.com if you need any more help or advice

kiwibeat
14-08-2002, 02:03 AM
sorry tennisplayer43 at hotmail dot com if anyone needs help or advice am in wgtn