PDA

View Full Version : 100mg zip drive

Buddy
13-08-2002, 07:57 AM
My 100mg zip drive has started clicking and refusing to work. It will not eject, and locks the computer up. Have to re start. If I start the computer with the zip disk in, it will open. However, as soon as I try to open a folder, it jams up the whole works again.

wuppo
13-08-2002, 09:14 AM
See Steve Gibson's article: Click of Death (http://grc.com/tip/clickdeath.htm) :|

Heather P
13-08-2002, 10:38 AM
REMOVE ALL DISKS IMMEDIATELY AND DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!!

The click of death is the sign of a dying drive - and when it dies it will destroy disks. I have now bought a new drive but have yet to check and try my old disks in it. According to info read on the net damaged disks can destroy the new drive.

Typing "Click of Death" into both Press F1 and Google brings results.

Graham L
13-08-2002, 01:35 PM
This is really the ultimate "backup" device, isn't it?

ajaynabh
13-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Hi Dear

This problem will keep on persisting, I will advice u to have better Solution That is Citidisk it comes with 10-40 gb capacity and its USB driven, hot plugable, fits in ur shirt and sterdy tooo.
Thanks

ajaynabh
13-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Hi Dear

This problem will keep on persisting, I will advice u to have better Solution, That is Citidisk it comes with 10-40 gb capacity and its USB driven, hot plugable, runs on USB power, fits in ur shirt and sterdy tooo. You can find it @ www.globaljunxion.co.nz/citidisk_2.htm. Hope it will solve your problem
Thanks

Buddy
15-08-2002, 07:47 AM
Wuppo, Heather P, Graham L, Ajaynabh.
Thankyou all for the help. I have read the info of Stev Gibson, and taken it on board.
The zip drive of mine is getting thrown out, to be replaced with a nice big
3rd hard drive.
Buddy.

JohnD
15-08-2002, 10:41 PM
I have had an external parallel port 100MB Zip drive since 1995 and suffered from the click of death only once with a brand new disk. Got it replaced under warrantee and it has been fine since. Currently use it to transfer files between my Linux home PC and work every day.

Heather P
15-08-2002, 11:09 PM
The Click of Death pertains to the drive rather than the individual disk... unfortunately.

It clicked (for a while), then it clunked, I thought disk, tried several....... realised problem was with the drive, read up on it and said "Oh Bother" (or something similar) when I realised I had probably trashed several disks rather than one.

A faulty disk is a faulty disk - which may click.
The Click of Death is terminal.

Buddy
16-08-2002, 08:49 AM
John D. Thanks for that. I have no other computer, so thought I'd put in another hard drive. The cost is about the same.

Buddy
16-08-2002, 08:58 AM
Heather P. Thanks for your comments re 100mg zip. I too have done in a number of disks. I have used the zip disks for storing photo's. I still have all the original photo's which I'll now have to scan, and start all over again. Going to put in a 3rd 40gb hard drive. Price is near enough the same as a new zip drive, although it may cost me a few bucks to have the puter checked out to see if it will take a new 40gb. I only wish I had read about this "Click of Death" earlier.

JohnD
16-08-2002, 09:45 AM
It has not been my experience - click of death did it's thing on one new disk - never done it since and it gets used every day!

Heather P
16-08-2002, 10:54 AM
>I only wish I had read about this "Click of Death" earlier.

... So do I ...

It is at the back of my mind to check my disks and see which ones work.
- The very organised one containing copies of all assignments for my bachelor degree?
- My teaching notes for a class I taught?
- Backups going back years?

Haven't yet gained the courage to see (in case I wreck the new drive). One day...