PDA

View Full Version : Excel Floating Lines Possible or not?

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2002, 04:29 PM
I havwe a freidn who wishes to have the first and last line of her excel spreadsheet "Float" on-screen while editing the spreadsheet, is this possible, even with a plugin? I believe its Excel 2K.
Thanks

Chilling_Silence

parry
12-08-2002, 04:46 PM
You can use either Split Window or Freeze panes if thats what you mean to show the last cells.

Chilling_Silence
12-08-2002, 04:48 PM
How would I go about doing this please?

parry
12-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Sorry had to shoot to a meeting so made a quick post.

To split the screen, select Window-Split. This effectively gives you a duplicate view of the same sheet. Keep the bottom part of the split as you last row so you can always see it. The split can be dragged down or to the left. I think it comes up as a 4 way split, so you can slide to the left to get rid of the vertical split, the move it down near the bottom out of your way so you can still see the last row. Each split has its own scroll bars, so scoll the bottom one down until you see the last row.

Freezing panes is slightly different, where only one view of the sheet is shown, but certain rows (you determine where the "freeze"starts) are frozen so when you scroll down (or up depending upon where you froze panes) these rows remain in place. This is especially good for things like header rows where you want to see what you have named the column and dont want to have to scoll up if you happened to be on row 200 to see what the column name is. Select the row underneath the ones you want frozen then select Windows-Freeze panes.

cheers
Parry