PDA

View Full Version : old monitors free to good home

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 02:48 PM
i have a small collection of old monocrome monitors, and have a severe space shortage. If anyone within easy driving distance of my inner CHCH cave wants them, please email me, otherwise i shall take them to molten media. for my email address see homepage in personal profile.

honeylaser
12-08-2002, 03:11 PM
have you thought about donating them to a local school? even if they can't use them for working on, they might come in handy for taking apart ;)

schools are terribly short on budgets for IT gear, so I'm sure your goodwill would be appreciated.

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 03:21 PM
i could do that...
perhaps i should mention that most, if not all, do actually go, and i think there are 5, i'm just digging them out now. some have the older connecter d9 or whatever it is. I'm not even sure of quantity as some are just under a pile of rubbish in a store room i wish to empty. i think the total is 5 units.

Of course my only selfish motivation is to get rid of them, so if anyone wants to find a good home for them, just let me know. Anything considered, so long as it isn't a long drive, or the new owner is prepared to pick them up. A school would be fine, although what i had in mind was someone who would actually be able to use them for what they are.

Biggles
12-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Make them into letterboxes and sell them. As letterboxes I'm sure you can flogg them off for an outlandish price .....

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Bruce,

i have a couple that don't go, and now i know what to do with them!

Elwin Way
12-08-2002, 06:09 PM
I would not recommend donating to a school for disassembly! If you're the sadistic type, then yea, but I know from personal experience, anything with a CRT is dangerous!

Elwin Way
12-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Also, see my post about fishtanks (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=22545&message=64769&q=#64769). :D

-=JM=-
12-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Are any of them colour by ancy chance :D?

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 10:38 PM
na -=JM=-,
no color, i think one of them is green, but most are full glorious monocrome!

njonez
12-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Fishtanks what about a static TV lol

i saw one guy got a great big old TV you know the ones with out remotes and hardly work any more? well anyway he took the screen out and all the chips etc and this guy is a Model Train sort of guy so he made this mini part with some odd-bod track and put a standard sheet of glass on top of it(sealed it) MAN IT LOOKED SO REAL!

just to go with the fishtanks

Heather P
12-08-2002, 11:13 PM
I have a vague feeling that my old monitor floating around at the back of the cupboard can't actually be used anyway. The pins are different to colour (2 rows instead of 3?) so I need an old monochrome card - which I think left the house in the XT.

Six years ago schools grabbed anything they could get to teach typing. These days the curriculum requirements mean that computers need to be reasonably up to date.

Giving kids an old monitor and a screwdriver is A Very Bad Idea. High voltages lurk at surface level in monitors for a long time after they are turned off. Letting them do it on an old monitor encourages them to play on newer ones...

njonez
12-08-2002, 11:28 PM
> Six years ago schools grabbed anything they could get
> to teach typing. These days the curriculum
> requirements mean that computers need to be
> reasonably up to date.

Yep that's seems ture my old primary school had all Macs now they all nice win 98 network computers(feel much more at home lol)as for my current school Win 98's networked everywhere though the school Y9's HAVE to unless doing a language must do TIM(Text & Information Management) but not all schools are like that :(

> Giving kids an old monitor and a screwdriver is A
> Very Bad Idea. High voltages lurk at surface level in
> monitors for a long time after they are turned off.
> Letting them do it on an old monitor encourages them
> to play on newer ones...

well too ture i'm a school student and i'd hate to be in my schools workshop and be ZAPPED @ 12 VOLTS the school workshop is far too dangurous at the moment(or is that cos i don't like it - lol) the swimming pool is the other side of the school