PDA

View Full Version : Change over Hard drive

Tuffy
12-08-2002, 02:22 PM
I want to change my hard drive No 1 (Drive with the bootable partitin C: & E:) it is only a 2.5gb drive and is almos full! I have a second H/D (drive2) a 13gb partitioned into drive D: F: G: H: I: J: All run Fat32 files.
Question 1 Are the Fat tables stored on each drive or are thay stored on the bootable drive?
If thay are stored on each drive then I guess that I should procede as follows

1. Back up drive C: & E: (I have a Conner parallel port tape drive)
2. Phisicaly change over the hardware.
3. Format & partition the new drive.
4. Reinstall the operating System (Win 98 2nd edt)
5. Reinstall the back up program.
6. Install the back up from tapes.

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 02:41 PM
i think you have pretty much answered your own question

one thing.. you have a hell of alot of partitions for a 13 gig drive.. i would make sure that the first partition, is atleast 5 gig, the system will see it as C: if you use the desisting drive as well the system will see that as D: second partitions will be E: F: etc

one other thing, just on a month ago, i replaced a 2.5 gig drive on a friends computer because it was starting to developed bad sectors.. it was the only drive and bits of the operating system kept disappearing.
What ever role you give to the 2.5 gig drive, i recommend you back it regally, AND make sure there is nothing mission critical on it a 2.5 gig HDD is getting on a wee bit now.

ajaynabh
13-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Hi There

Well the best and latest solution is get rid of these all IDE HDD. Get it 2 USB 2.0 DISK, hot Plugable, Runs on USB power, fits in shirt pocket, Fast, u can find it @ globaljunxion.com/citidisk_2htm.
Hope it solves
THanks

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2002, 04:22 PM
I agree, 5 gigs at least for primary. If you're keeping it, and your secondary has nothing on its C: then you won't need to format it if it has enough room for doze and for a few extra progs.

Chilling_Silence