PDA

View Full Version : Be Gentle Please

dipstick01
12-08-2002, 02:02 PM
HI All
After my last attempt at building a web site using the ISP's sorry little page builder ( I was only allowed 2 links on the entire page ) I have finally made another web site. Now I need your opinions on it and the advice contained.
The site is aimed at basic computer users and hopefully covers all the little bits and peices that they need to or should know so some of the instructions may seem a little basic but this is aimed at people like my mother who is still nervous about right clicking with her mouse.
Also does anyone know of a better way for me to do up my contents listing? I used a Basic web builder as I have absolutly no knowledge of HTML at all and that was the best I could do with webweaver ez

Be honest in your opinions....lol I can handle the brutal truth without emotional scarring
Basic Computer Stuff (http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz)

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 02:09 PM
um Dipstick,
i find your coment "i have absolutly no html knowledge" a little strange given the nature of the page you made.
Take your page and veiw its sourse. inserting links in your webpage is about as complex as inserting them in Pressf1 forum, if you have the skill level to do one, you will have the ability to understand the other....
must run.. got to beat the mice to my toast!

Biggles
12-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Don't centre the text - doesn't help readability.

You image link is broken cause you've linked it to the file on your HD, not online.

Move the contents listing up rather than at the end.

dipstick01
12-08-2002, 03:40 PM
lol........that will teach me for not double checking things first....after making the intial post I went to the site and discovered the problem with the pictures still being linked to my local drive. I have fixed that and all should be running like its meant to now.
Thanks for the comment on the contents Bruce, I actually want to replace the entire contents listing with a better layout but I need to find something that will do it easily in an office suite type layout. I really do have no knowledge on HTML whatsoever and have just used a very basic web page maker to create the site called Web Weaver EZ (http://www.mcwebsoftware.com/)

What sort of contents listing should I have??........a drop down menu type or something else??

Biggles
12-08-2002, 04:03 PM
> What sort of contents listing should I
> have??........a drop down menu type or something
> else??

I'd just go for a simple layout:

item | item2 | item3 |

etc horizontally across the page right underneath the heading. Not fancy but it would get the job done.

Baldy
12-08-2002, 04:30 PM
There is a lot of reading in the site. I have bookmarked it for later. I did notice that when I clicked on one of the links, I was able to scroll backwards to the p2p item.

All in all, I found the site quite interesting - I want to put up my own website shortly, and if I can do as well as you, I will be most happy.

Congratulations, you have done a great job. You will have to forgive me if I flogg some of your ideas LOL !!!

BALDY :-)

Chris Wilson
12-08-2002, 04:33 PM
i'd agree with bruce, atleast untill you have heaps of pages then you could (direct link) have page-about-this page-about-that page-about-something-else and then(dropdown) heaps of pages about whatever!

mark c
12-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Bit difficult to navigate. I think a "home' link would work, take you back to your top listing/home page. Or you could do what a lot of sites do which is to make one humungous long page and all the links at the top and you bounce down to them and then back up to top. eg PressF1 help. At the moment a choice from the listing takes me to the choice, yes, and a couple of others but then what do you do? Can only get back by closing the page.

Also, the cartoons are good but sloooow things down. Desperate Newbie might just want the help, not the larfs.

Other than that, for an intro to computing/net, yes v. good ,clear and the external links to read up more are excellent.

I'd recommend Arachnophilia as an HTML editor. You can use the built in functions and as you learn more you can do more yourself, I mean write yr own HTML and check it against the editor, shows up diff. colour if there's a mistake.

Elwin Way
12-08-2002, 06:03 PM
IMOHO I'd be inclined to put the menu items in a frame going down the left side of the page. You've got a lot of topics, and people will want to go straight from one topic to the next without going back to the home page. This will also eliminate the need for opening the topics in a new window.

dipstick01
12-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Right, I've just redone the contents to spread across the page near the top, There is a lot of information in there and I dont want to swamp people with too much which is why I have it set for a new window for each topic, If people are anything like me when there is too much info all at once it tends to blur and you look elsewhere or don't take it all in. With the contents like it is they will always have the home/base page on their screen as there is nothing worse than getting half way into a site and then trying to click your way back out.
The pictures are there to break the text up and I have attempted to keep them to a minimum, usually 2 per page
Any other suggestions??

robo
12-08-2002, 08:09 PM
I suppose I can forgive you for mentioning NetGuide, at least it was last.

I'll get you a copy of my book when it comes out and you can slip that under GW's arm.

Not sure if I like a new window opening with each link, but that's probably a matter of taste.

Good stuff, dude.

robo.

dipstick01
12-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Your Book??..........that sounds very interesting indeed, come on robo you can't just drop that you are writing a book and not give us more details.

Sorry about the N******e mention but I was trying to unbiased, though you will notice I mentioned PressF1 in virtually its own sub section while the other magazine only gets a quick mention ( its last in the list for a reason )

robo
13-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Just kidding.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to talk about the book yet. It is on a couple of programs, if I named them I would have to kill your cat. A pre-press copy is currently being tested in a laboratory in the US as a possible cure for insomnia.
robo.

PS I never liked cats.
PPS Just kidding, cats are okay. It's just hamsters that get to me.

dipstick01
13-08-2002, 11:15 AM
Personal Note to Self

Hire Bodyguards for the cats RE death threat from Robo and the old lady next door whose mangy little dog they beat up.
Also investigate possible link between working in journalism and Megalomania........ Robo is now starting to display classic first stage symptoms with his obsession with cruelty to small animals ( at least I hope it is Megalomania ) Due to the nature of his work he may just attempt to become the first Internet Overlord.

robo
13-08-2002, 03:24 PM
:O

You've stumbled upon my plan. You will have to join me or be destroyed.

Chilling_Silence
13-08-2002, 04:40 PM
I agree with Elwin Way, A frame on the left maybe just for a bit easier navigation. OTherwise, I'm loving it.

Chilling_Silence

dipstick01
13-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Bugger..... I hate multi choice questions Robo.......can I think about it and get back to you??

robo
13-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Do not underestimate the power of the Geek Side of the force.

dipstick01
13-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Dad ??? is that you??

robo
14-08-2002, 08:51 AM
:^O

The short ones are always the best. Nice one, DS01.

dipstick01
16-08-2002, 05:12 PM
OK I have now finally changed the initial start/contents page and have even managed to use frames to get consecutive windows opening in the main page, is this better? Any more ideas on what I could do to improve the site? I am now trying to cut back on the file size of the pictures so they load a bit faster but I don't want to cut the pictures all together. Also any ideas on other subjects to cover?......the site is aimed at newbies etc so I'm trying to get the basics without being too technical or overwhelming

dipstick01
16-08-2002, 05:14 PM
Sorry heres the link again Basic Computer Stuff (http://dipstick01.hostnz.co.nz)

Susan B
16-08-2002, 06:08 PM
That layout is so much better dipstick.

The only suggestion I have is to make the line breaks into paragraph breaks.
Not like this paragraph.

But like this one, separated by an empty line. It makes it a bit easier on the eye. I think the home page paragraphs could be squashed up a bit with less empty lines between them.

You could also incorporate bulleted paragraphs (unordered lists) in some places, eg for your Do's and Don'ts. The numbered paragraphs can also be formatted to made them neater (ordered lists). Here (http://www.bfree.on.ca/HTML/lesson5.htm) is a good tutorial for them if you need it.

And yes, the pictures need to be smaller. Don't remove them, just reduce their measurements a bit.