PDA

View Full Version : removing junk files

jaye
11-08-2002, 08:09 PM
an unwanted file loaded itself from the net and deposited itself on my desktop display have tried removing it by going into systems task but it doesn't show up there ,nor does it reveal itself in disk clean up am running windows xp and would really appreciate some advise as I'm new to this site and have limited computer knowledge- thanks

Graham Petrie
11-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Sounds to me like lop.com. Download Adaware (http://www.lavasoft.de) and run it to remove the wee bugger. If it is not lop.com, run adaware anyway.

Let me know how you get on.

G P

jaye
11-08-2002, 10:03 PM
graham - great program removed 5 unwanted files from the system but not the one I was after, thanks heaps anyway

jaye
11-08-2002, 10:43 PM
a further search shows the file is located in c/documents & settings/ow... but how do I delete it from there , could somebody please tell me-thanks

Bob Kehely
12-08-2002, 10:19 AM
Hello Jaye,

You could try a search and delete from there.

click start, search, in the left hand column, click 'all files and folders'
scroll down to 'more advanced options and click. check that there is a tick in 'search system folders' and 'search hidden files and folders'

Type the name if the file in the 'type of file' panel, and click search.

if the offending file appears in the right hand colunm, right click it and click
delete. clear you recycle bin.

good luck,
Bob

NathanTheKind
12-08-2002, 10:22 AM
You could always just right click the file and select Delete.

:)

jaye
12-08-2002, 06:49 PM
thanks guys-problem solved Bob's suggestion was a winner.Adware software also great bonus thanks again- jaye

kiwibeat
22-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Active privacy and free surfer are good programs to run as well as web washer

tweak\'e
22-08-2002, 12:08 PM
>an unwanted file loaded itself from the net

i suggest you patch your browser so it dosn't happen again.