PDA

View Full Version : What enables you to view on two monitors?

Gigo
11-08-2002, 02:17 PM
What type of Video card do you need to be able to view on two monitors.

One with TV-Out or Twin ViVO - Dual Head something something............

godfather
11-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Yes, or a second video card can, but its all highly dependant on what hardware you have. TV out is low resolution normally and may be disappointing to use as a PC monitor

Gigo
11-08-2002, 02:58 PM
So one with Dual heads would be best?

Graham L
11-08-2002, 03:06 PM
It depends on what you want it for. If you want to display "computer" screens, you will need two video cards and two video monitors (and an OS which supports that). If you want to view television + computer screens, a video card with Dual heads *might* be the one. Make sure you tell the shop what you want it to do: that way if it doesn't, you are covered by Sale of Goods Act. ;-)

Gigo
11-08-2002, 03:21 PM
I want to do graphics in Flash, Dreamweaver and Photoshop but the screen gets too cluttered with paletes at high resolutions!

Lately there was an article in the PC World Magazine to set up two screens and have paletes on one monitor and the image file on the other monitor.

Or when working on a webpage have a monitor set to one resolution then one to another so you can see what the web site looks like at different resolutions as you are working on it. - Spose you need two video cards for that?

I am running Windows 98 SE and have two 17" Monitors - 1 oldish one lying around - and one I'm using now.

Graham L
11-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Right, this will depend on whether your OS supports it. Mike had a posting recently, and I think he was using XP Pro. (Use the search button at top of this page -- subject "dual monitor", Username "Mike" will find that one.

Gigo
11-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Windows 98 fixes that problem but I'm not sure to go with 2 video cards or a Video Card with TV-Out for a lower resoluton option on the secondary monitor.

I'll have to see what Mike might say. - What he uses Daul Head, TV-Out or 2 Video Cards.

My Price range is quite low!

JimQ
11-08-2002, 04:52 PM
you need 2 video cards for it...and then configure win98se to use the other monitor...visit first microsoft's website, for which video cards they have tested for 2 monitors using win98se.

Jim Q.

NathanTheKind
12-08-2002, 10:05 AM
I know the GForce 4 MX graphics card supports dual monitors. The card I have has the normal screen output plug and also a s-video output plug

:)

Mike
12-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Gigo,

Just reading through these posts and thought you might like me to comment :)

TV-Out is a waste of time. You're very unlikely to need anything at the resolution that the tv will provide.

Dual head video cards are very good, if you can afford one. I just bought a cheap second-hand 4mb PCI card to stick in alongside my AGP card and plugged a second monitor into that - currently have them both running at the same resolution and same refresh, but for design work I lower the res of the second screen if I need to test at lower resolutions. Dual monitors will work on any version of Windows from 95 upwards, but is VERY dependant on the hardware - most recent stuff (which I assume you are using by what you want to do on it) will run dual screens no problem - then it comes down to finding a video card that handles it also (if you buy an older PCI video card, some of them were not multi-screen capable, although they're fairly obsolete now).

Any more questions, just let me know.

Mike.