PDA

View Full Version : Viewing .wks documents without Microsoft Works

tones_malones
11-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Is there a way i can view the Microsoft Works documents without having Works? All i have is Word and the usual Wordpad etc etc. I tried searching on Download.com but i can't think of an appropraite keyword!

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

:) Tones :)

godfather
11-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Wks files appear to be from a Works Spreadsheet, and can probably be opened in Excel (depending on the version of Works).

Text documents from Works appear to be .wps

tones_malones
11-08-2002, 10:27 AM
hmmm i really am an idiot, i tried opening in excel but with no luck, when i selected "works 2.0" in the "open" dialougue it only opened with txt and ascii symbols :S

any other ideas?

merlin-nz
11-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Hi,
I'm allmost certain you can only open Works with Works.
Just ran a wee test and it will not even open in OpenOffice.org 1.0

cheers merlin-nz ;)

Heather P
11-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi there,

Go to microsoft.com and in the search box type:
works spreadsheet convertor

It probably depends on the version of works.

godfather
11-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Works 2.0 is really old, and Excel doesnt seem to support the later ones.

Options are to get the sender to save it in a different format (perhaps .csv?) or obtain a copy of Works.

Must be lots of Works software out there, but then you need to know that it will open the version you have (Works 2.0 may not open doc created in 4.0, or Works 2000 ??)

What about Star Office (freeware) or some of those packages.

Baldy
11-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Good one godfather,

I was going to suggest Star Office........ my friend in the Netherlands can open everything I send her in SO.

From what she says, its a pretty nifty program

Heather P
11-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Half an hour ago husband was trying to open a Works 2 database created in 1993. Access tried to take ownership and crashed and burned.

Found the Works 2 disks and tried to install them on a Win 98 machine. Came up with a "not shell" error message.

Restarted computer, tried again. Same message.

Looks like I'll have to fire up an old 486...

tones_malones
13-08-2002, 06:27 PM
all fixed guys, i installed excel on her computer :) after it conflicted with her word 2000 grrrr...
thanks for the suggestions.

alls well that ends well!

:)Tones :)