PDA

View Full Version : mouse stays powered on

jontext88
11-08-2002, 01:47 AM
i have an intellimouse(optical mouse). i recently upgraded to a gigabyte GA-7VRX motherboard. all goes well except my mouse when plugged in to the PS/2 plug does not power off when i power down.
so i operate it from a usb.
however i would prefer to go with the ps/2 because 'drive image' only reconises ps/2 drivers and i may soon need the usb port.
i suspect possibly a bios setting or a motherboard hard setting.
but really i'm lost. any idea's???

godfather
11-08-2002, 03:47 AM
Mouse staying powered strongly suggests the PC isnt actually powering down, but is going into "standby" mode. In this mode, often the mouse is the wake-up device and stays powered.

A fully powered down PC cannot power an optical mouse

robsonde
11-08-2002, 09:26 AM
Some motherboards will leave power to the USB ports even when the system is fully off.

all ATX powered systems have some small voltages in them when thay powerdown.

a friend of mine has the same problem and she just switches the box at the wall.

but there might be a bios setting or jumper. (look through the handbook)

I would look for a handbook at the gigabyte website if you dont have one yourself.

www.gigibyte.com.tw

Graham L
11-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Look at power control options in the BIOS, and in the OS. The only voltage available on the MB when the PSU is "off" is "5VSB". That normally feeds a "wakeupable" modem or Ethernet card.

jontext88
11-08-2002, 06:33 PM
well i am definitely powering off and the mouse does stay on, or at least the red light is on. this only happens from the ps/2 plug.
bios setting is set for mouse to wake up from standby but why would that keep power on to ps/s when unit powered down?

wuppo
11-08-2002, 06:39 PM
Quite a number of mobos leave the PS2 connectors powered up so you can 'power on' via your k/b. Perhaps it is two much effort to separate the power supply between the k/b and mouse sockets.

Graham L
12-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Try setting the BIOS so it doesn't wake up from standby ;-)

jontext88
12-08-2002, 06:11 PM
the keyboard actually does power off. (well the lights go out) but not the
ps/2. i have the handbook. nothing i or wiser mates can see. trial and error i spose. i am think jumper or switch on board but that will have to wait for a more serious reason to open up the box.
interesting in the mouse power settingsin xp the "allow system to power off this device to save power" is shaded out as not being able to be chosen. an i have reloaded latetet drivers.

jontext88
12-08-2002, 06:20 PM
i use standby quite a lot. there are several standby states. s1 to s5.
ps/2 set to s1, but then so is keyboard which does power off ok.
interesting, in the mouse power settings in xp the "allow system to power off this device to save power" is shadowed as not an option. latest drivers don't change it.