PDA

View Full Version : SDRAM V EDO

Tats
10-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi, I have a friend who wants to know the following:

1. Are the two compatible i.e 128 SDRAM and 128 EDO. Both are Dimm modules in a VIA MP3 M/Board
2. Is EDO any slower than SDRAM? Supposing the have the same ns speed rating?

3.Would he be better off with 196 of SDRAM or 256 combo of EDO/SDRAM?

Mike
10-08-2002, 10:47 PM
> Hi, I have a friend who wants to know the following:
>
> 1. Are the two compatible i.e 128 SDRAM and 128 EDO.
> Both are Dimm modules in a VIA MP3 M/Board

As far as I'm aware, EDO and SDRAM are completely different. As much different as being different sizes physically, so they will not fit in the same slot. EDO is older 70pin size, whereas SDRAM is newer 168pin size. EDO would have been found in older Pentium or even late model 486s. Some Pentium m/boards had both EDO and SDRAM slots, but usually the SDRAM slot only took as much as 32mb, often on 16mb DIMMs. I think also that EDO were SIMMs not DIMMs. On the boards that had both slots, usually you were recommended not to mix the two types, although I have had a board in the past that the manual stated that you could mix, but the max SDRAM you could have per slot (I think there was only one slot, maybe two) was 32mb.

> 2. Is EDO any slower than SDRAM? Supposing the have
> the same ns speed rating?

I would assume that they're slower, yes.

> 3.Would he be better off with 196 of SDRAM or 256
> combo of EDO/SDRAM?

Depends if you can mix the two.

Mike.

godfather
10-08-2002, 11:04 PM
EDO was available in 168 pin as well, it probably has a bus speed of only 66 MHz

It has half the data throughput in theory when compared to SD Ram in modern computers but thats probably a lot to do with clock speeds.

It was 5%-10% slower than SD RAM

More to the point is, (as it is apparently operating now) what Operating System, what bus speed. If windows 95 then thats too much RAM anyway, if its a 100 mHz bus then you are slowing the SD ram down.

Frankly I am amazed it works at all...

Kiwitas
10-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Hi guys,

Godfather,I have a feeling that W95 is capable of handling 524Mb of RAM,
but Tweak'e would best to verify this.

Slightly of the questions asked,my old clunker here is a P2/266mhz capable of taking 384Mb of EDO simms.(presently has 256Mb)

May not help at all just interesting!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

tweak\'e
10-08-2002, 11:34 PM
usually its the motherboard that limits the amount of ram you can have (except the new ones) not the os.(win9x 2gig max)

with SOME motherboards you can run both edo and sdram. however usually what happens is the edo will slow down the sdram. with that amount of sdram i would ditch the edo.

what you can do is install the different setups, benchmark it and see what the difference is.

godfather
10-08-2002, 11:50 PM
Kiwitas, its not what W95 *will* run with, its just that it runs slower in some cases with more RAM...

Depends on settings...look here (http://www.windows-help.net/windows95/troub-03.shtml)

Tats
11-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Yeah, it works ok. Although i think it was faster without the extra 64mb EDO
ie 196 SDRAM rather than 128 SDRAM and 128EDO. The M/board is Via Mp3 with a front side bus of 100Mgh. Both the ram modules are supposedly 133mgh!

Kiwitas
11-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Thanks godfather,always learning something on this Forum! Interesting site too.

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

tweak\'e
11-08-2002, 01:37 AM
sounds like its a k6-2 300mhz-550mhz. it will go proberly go better without the edo ram. the 133ram will downclock to 100(due to the 100mhs fsb) and the edo will try to make it run slower so i would suggest leaving the edo out. you should be able to run the 133ram at cas2.

robsonde
11-08-2002, 01:46 AM
as has already been said EDO is older and slower.

as for mixing then the two posable out comes are that the motherboard cant tell that is has two type of ram and will over voltage the EDO giving smoke and flames.
or
the board will detect two types of ram and run at the speed of the slowest type (the EDO)

your best bet is not to mix types or speeds of ram in any system.

depending on the OS 196 of ram will be ok for most basic work.