PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Ghost 2002

pgwil
10-08-2002, 09:18 PM
My pc runs Windows XP and I have Nortons Ghost 2002 which from what I gather supports direct CD write. What I would like to do is to be able to back up my complte system onto however many cds it takes and to have the first cd, bootable. I've tried following the wizard but get a litle confused. I have used earlier versions of Ghost without experiencing any problems.
Help!!!
Regards

Paul

-=JM=-
10-08-2002, 10:04 PM
As far as I am aware Ghost will have trouble backing up NTFS partitions so you may have to run your XP on FAT32 if you want to do this.

Billy T would be the expert on Ghost.

Billy T
11-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Hi pqwl

If you want to ghost XP you will have to do as JM suggested and abandon NTFS. Ghost is DOS based and although some sector by sector activities are possible, for full functionality you need FAT32.

Drive Image can change NTFS to FAT32 without loss of data but ifyou have to buy that you might as well use it for your imaging as well. (Did I say that ?:| Can't think what came over me!

BTW, I wouldn't bother imaging to CDs, its cheaper to buy a second HD and much faster to write and restore from, plus you can store several images in one location. If you want to take them off site for safety, buy an HD caddy. That's what I use.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

jontext88
11-08-2002, 01:57 AM
ntfs will always be a problem with ghost 2002 but the good news is the xp version of drive image works well.
however.... have a good strong power supply and beware, cdrw is pig in a poke.
cdr is no problem.
shame really cause ghost is ggod when it works well.
tip... partition your drive or add another hard drive and then run on ntfs and ghost to the fat32 partition or hdd. that works and you can restore fat32 back to ntfs.