PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

fitzpatr
10-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Can Outlook Express be removed from Windows XP, if so how.
It does not appear in add/remove programs

Jen C
10-08-2002, 08:16 PM
Outlook express is a component of Internet Explorer which in turn an integral part of your XP (and all other MS) operating system. You cannot remove IE from the system without causing major havoc. If you do not like Outlook express just download another email program and set that up as your default mail handler.

godfather
10-08-2002, 08:20 PM
I agree with Jen C, in earlier versions of windows it was possible, and when the service pack 1 comes out for XP it may be possible again. At the moment it appears possible up to Windows 2000, but not XP

I never use it, have never run it, and use Eudora. Its not a load to carry and in the interests of stability I wont remove it even when I can.

Poppa John
10-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Serious Q. How come so many people have got such a "Down " on Outlook Express and/or have had so much apparent trouble with it?. I know it is tempting fate to say this, but I have had no major problems with it, & the minor problems disappeared as I learnt to drive it. Puzzled Poppa John :)

Poppa John
10-08-2002, 08:49 PM
P S, Have I been lucky or is it just because I am incredibly intelligent, handsome & modest? Poppa John :D :D ]:)

godfather
10-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Not sure its a matter of *problems* PJ, I find it a bit obtuse to use, bloated for what it really is (a kiddie version of Outlook) and mainly the target of virus writers.

On the other hand I found Eudora to be plain, simple and intuitive to use, so much so I paid to register it.

Given that I depend on email for earning my living, and receive/send up to 50 or more most days (including large attachments) it is important to me.

Poppa John
10-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Goddie, Maybe I have just been lucky. 50 E-ms a day, I wouldn.t reach 50 a week, If I don't count the Drivel I send here. Can you point me in the direction of Outlook & Eudora so I can have a look at them? Thanks. PJ

godfather
10-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Outlook is part of MS Office, its not free. Its a full features calendar/diary, email, contacts list.

I do use Outlook for the Diary & Contacts but not for e-mail. (virus issues again)

Eudora is usually on magazine CDs, also at www.eudora.com

Its available to use free in "lite" mode (less features) or "ad mode" (small ad on the screen) or "paid mode" (all features)

Poppa John
10-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Goddie. Had a look at the eudora site & scrolled thro the Tutorial Lite. It looks straightforward enough but I doubt my ability to instal it. In the meantime I think I had better stay with what I know. Perhaps I should leave it till the end of the month, when my IQ will be at its highest.
Thanks anyway. :D Irrepressible Poppa John (even when being growled at from ChCh) ]:)

fitzpatr
11-08-2002, 09:17 AM
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies

Patrick