PDA

View Full Version : Recycle Bin Acting WIERD!

ljhnz
10-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Hi everyone
(God I HATE this computer at the moment - road rage's got nothing on computer rage!).
I open the Recycle Bin and the window appears as empty - 0 files (even though it's not...)
Right click the Bin icon, select Properties...nope, I haven't got the "Do Not Move Files To The Recycle Bin" option ticked......select file in the rbin window and select "Empty Recycle Bin" and I get the confirm delete message "Are you sure you want to delete these 43 items?" (which is how many files are in there....not that you can SEE them!)
What's happeneing now???? Arghhhh!
Lynne Hawkins

Sam H
10-08-2002, 12:41 PM
I had the same Weird problem a while back and I couldn't seem to solve it.

What OS are you using?

First do a full virus scan to see if that shows any thing up if it doesn't then you can do what I did and hope for the best.

Wait a while before doing this to see if any one else can come up with an answer. All i did was clicked yes to delete the files and prayed for the best. So far I haven't had any thing happen in connection to the files going missing.

ljhnz
10-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Hi Sam
A./Checked - No virses (Norton AV 2002 up to date virus signature files)
B./Deleted Invisible Files after confirm message appeared.
Still couldn't get new deleted files to show up in the rbin, did a restart into safe mode - still couldn't get files i was deleting to show in rbin so shut the computer right down and started her up again.
Recycle Bin working again.
You've guessed it - Windows ME.
Say no more I presume! Nice to hear it happens to other people though!
Cheers
Lynne

dipstick01
10-08-2002, 01:27 PM
I had a similair problem till I remembered that my system was partitioned and there is a recycle bin in each partition.
Right click on the bin icon and select properites will give you the options for your bin, if you have global settings ticked then whatever setting you choose will apply to all bins in all partitions. The first thing I did was alter the bin size on my secondary partitions as this is basically wasted space.

You can also try running disk cleanup from your system tools on each partition to see if that will clear the problem

As for a virus, W32YahaF@mm writes itself to your recycle bin file and then starts to spread, it also disables your Anti Virus. You could try the Yaha removal tool from Symantec if nothing else works

godfather
10-08-2002, 03:23 PM
If the files in the bin are classed as "system files" you may not see them.
If its a recent OS, enable system file view in Windows Explorer.